Srinagar-Jammu highway open for one-way trafficJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 1:43 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 22 (IANS) The Srinagar-Jammu highway will remain open for one-way traffic Sunday, but only trucks and government-run buses will move from the summer capital to the winter capital.
Inspector General of Police Hemant Kumar Lohia said trucks from Qazigund in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district and State Road Transport Corp (SRTC) buses with passengers from Srinagar to Jammu would be allowed to ply.
“No light vehicle will be allowed,” he said.
Over 500 stranded trucks carrying essential supplies reached the Kashmir Valley from Jammu Saturday evening.
Heavy snowfall in the Patnitop and Bannihal sectors of the highway had closed the road triggering shortages of cooking gas, kerosene and other essential commodities in the Kashmir Valley.
The consumer affairs and public distribution department (CAPD) officials said with the arrival of 60,000 cooking gas cylinders and 2.5 lakh litres of kerosene oil in the valley, the crisis will end in two days.
“The rationing of cooking gas cylinders is being withdrawn as these would be freely available in the market from today (Sunday) afternoon,” said an official of the CAPD here.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has sought an enquiry into the conduct of the oil companies, which did not maintain adequate stocks of LPG in the valley to ward off any crisis in the winter.
But they officially confirmed they had sufficient supply.
- Snowfall again closes Srinagar-Jammu highway (With Images) - Jan 19, 2012
- One-way traffic likely on Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 20, 2012
- Severe cold wave in Kashmir - Jan 18, 2012
- Over 1,200 stranded passengers ferried by IAF (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Kashmir cut off for third day, snowfall stops (With Images) - Jan 17, 2012
- One-way traffic from Jammu to Srinagar Monday - Jan 23, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway re-opens for one-way traffic - Jan 19, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway re-opens for one-way traffic (With Images) - Jan 19, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway re-opened to traffic - Feb 16, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway opened to one-way traffic - Jan 09, 2012
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir, avalanche warning issued (With Images) - Jan 15, 2012
- One-way traffic on Jammu-Srinagar highway (With Images) - Jan 11, 2012
- Snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: anantnag, capd, chief minister, consumer affairs, distribution department, gas cylinders, heavy snowfall, hemant kumar, kashmir, kashmir valley, kerosene oil, lohia, oil companies, patnitop, public distribution, road transport, saturday evening, south kashmir, srtc, winter capital