Spring rain in Kashmir, farmers elatedApril 11th, 2012 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, April 11 (IANS) Incessant rain has brought down temperatures across the Kashmir valley Wednesday.
“There has been 9.2 mm rain in Srinagar city up to 8 a.m. Wednesday while 28.3 mm was recorded in Qazigund town, 31.2 mm in Pahalgam and 13.2 mm in Gulmarg ski resort,” said Sonam Lotus, director of the local weather office.
This led to minimum temperatures falling to 8.2 degrees Celsius in Srinagar, 0.5 degrees in Gulmarg, 4 degrees in Pahalgam, 0.4 degrees in Kargil and 1.4 degrees in Leh Wednesday, Lotus told IANS.
Lotus said more rain was expected across the Kashmir Valley during the next 24 hours and light snowfall was likely to occur in the higher reaches.
Kashmiri farmers say the spring rain will be beneficial for their rabi crops of oilseeds and fodder grass.
“These rains are a godsend for us. They will help better oilseed crop and good fodder growth in the fields this season,” said Ghulam Muhammad Rather, 46, a farmer in north Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
For scores of tourists presently visiting the Valley, cool and pleasant temperatures here are simply unbelievable.
“Can’t imagine a minimum of eight degrees and a maximum of 13 degrees after having been through a sweltering 38 degrees in Delhi a few days back,” said Sunil Agarwal, 34, a tourist who is here with his wife.
- Rains add to the woes of Kashmiri farmers - May 17, 2012
- Better weather forecast in Kashmir from Monday - Apr 23, 2012
- Rain worries Kashmir farmers, but fair weather cometh - Sep 16, 2011
- Rain and snow to lash Kashmir beginning Wednesday - Jan 02, 2012
- Weatherman forecasts cold week for Kashmir - Apr 26, 2012
- Fresh snow brings relief in Kashmir - Dec 20, 2011
- Hailstorms damage orchards, bring on cold in Kashmir - May 01, 2012
- Snowfall cuts off Kashmir from rest of country - Jan 16, 2012
- Kashmir shivers in freezing temperatures - Nov 26, 2011
- Gulmarg shivers at minus two degrees Celsius - Apr 14, 2012
- Night temperatures rise marginally in Kashmir, Ladakh - Jan 03, 2012
- Snowfall in hills sends chilly winds into Valley - Oct 23, 2011
- Weather office has good news for Kashmir Valley - May 23, 2012
- Winter knocking at Kashmir's door - Oct 22, 2011
- Fresh snowfall closes Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: fodder grass, ghulam muhammad, godsend, incessant rain, kargil, kashmir, kashmir valley, light snowfall, local weather, lotus, minimum temperatures, north kashmir, oilseed crop, oilseeds, pahalgam, rabi crops, ski resort, sonam, spring rain, weather office