Southwest monsoon hits OdishaJune 17th, 2012 - 6:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 17 (IANS) The southwest monsoon hit Odisha Sunday after a week’s delay, bringing rains to many parts of the state, an official of the local meteorological centre here said.
“The monsoon has set in over the state Sunday and covered several districts,” A.K. Senapati, the official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
“It has covered all the districts except Jharsuguda, Sundergarh and some portions of the districts of Baragarh, Sambalpur, Deogarh, Keonjhar and Maurbhanj,” he said.
“The conditions are favourable for further advance of the monsoon into remaining parts of the state during next 3 days,” he added.
A good monsoon is crucial for the state which has an agrarian economy and about 73 percent of the work force engaged in the agriculture sector. Odisha contributes about one-tenth of the country’s total rice production.
The monsoon normally reaches the state June 10.
- Monsoon now covers whole of Odisha - Jun 19, 2012
- 11 Odisha districts record deficit rain - Jul 31, 2012
- Scanty rains trigger drought fears in Orissa - Sep 02, 2010
- Odisha receives 18 percent less rainfall - Jul 18, 2012
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Monsoon reaches Orissa - Jun 13, 2011
- Mercury soars in Odisha, Titilagarh records 44.5 C - May 15, 2012
- Cold wave grips Orissa - Jan 05, 2011
- Mercury crosses 44 degrees in Odisha - May 14, 2012
- Monsoon deficit in Odisha stands at 19 percent - Jul 20, 2012
- Monsoon improves slightly in Odisha - Jul 27, 2012
- Heatwave continues in Odisha, claims 32 lives - Jun 10, 2012
- Monsoon hits Orissa - Jun 13, 2010
- Odisha shivers as mercury dips to 5.4 degrees - Jan 14, 2012
- Temperatures cross 45 degrees in five Odisha towns - May 18, 2012