Snow, rains wash off Himachal farmers’ hopesApril 9th, 2009 - 10:53 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, April 9 (IANS) Moderate to heavy snowfall and rain at many places in Himachal Pradesh Thursday triggered fresh worries for the farmers in the state.
“Keylong in Lahaul and Spiti district had 25 centimetres snow during the past 24 hours, while the Rohtang Pass in Kullu district is still receiving snow,” Manmohan Singh, director of the meteorological office in Shimla, told IANS.
“The entire tribal belt in Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti and Chamba district witnessed moderate to heavy snowfall during the past 24 hours,” he said.
Mid hills in the state received moderate to heavy rain, causing worries for the wheat growers.
The maximum rain was recorded in popular tourist spot Kasauli (39 mm) followed by Dharamsala (36 mm), Jogindernagar (28 mm), Mandi (21 mm), Shimla (20 mm) and Solan (15 mm).
Sanjay Kumar, a scientist with the National Wheat Research Centre here, said: “Earlier, a long dry spell affected the wheat crop in the lower hills. Now, heavy rain accompanied with hailstorm and high velocity winds is flattening the ripe wheat crop.”
He said as per preliminary estimates, the yield of the wheat this year is expected to fall 20-30 percent due to hostile weather at the time of harvesting.
Agriculture is the main occupation of the people in Himachal Pradesh, providing direct employment to 69 percent of the total workers in the state.
About 81 percent of the total cultivated area in the state is rainfed. Rice, wheat and maize are the important cereal crops.
- Himachal gets season's first snow amid rains (Lead) - Aug 13, 2011
- Avalanche threat in Himachal - Jan 16, 2012
- Himachal's Keylong sees season's heaviest snow - Mar 05, 2012
- Rain disrupts air traffic, but most of Himachal has snowfall - Dec 30, 2010
- Fresh snow in Himachal - Apr 11, 2012
- More snow in Himachal, high alert in state (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
- Snow, rain continue in Himachal - Feb 14, 2012
- Shimla gets season's first snowfall - Jan 04, 2012
- Hills near Shimla, Manali get more snow - Jan 15, 2012
- Himachal braces for rain, snow - Jan 02, 2012
- Head to Himachal hills for a white V-Day - Feb 12, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Snow, rain in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: cereal crops, chamba district, dry spell, heavy rain, high velocity, kinnaur, lahaul and spiti district, manmohan singh, maximum rain, meteorological office, mid hills, ripe wheat, rohtang pass, shimla, spiti, tourist spot, tribal belt, wheat crop, wheat growers, wheat research