Snow, rain bring on cold wave in HimachalNovember 15th, 2009 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Nov 15 (IANS) The hills of Himachal Pradesh experienced a fresh spell of snowfall and rains Sunday morning, leading to a sharp dip in temperatures.
Meteorological office director Manmohan Singh said the high hills saw snowfall while it rained over the lower hills, bringing with it cold wave conditions.
“The high-altitude areas of Lahaul and Spiti, Kinnaur, Shimla, Chamba and Kullu districts again experienced moderate to heavy snow,” Singh told IANS.
He said Keylong, the district headquarters of Lahaul and Spiti known as the coldest human habitation in the state, recorded a minimum of -6 degrees Celsius.
In Kinnaur district, Kalpa and Chitkul, the last Indian village on the India-China border, also witnessed snowfall. Kalpa recorded a low of -2 degrees Celsius.
The Rohtang Pass (13,050 feet) and the Baralacha Pass (16,020 ft) - located on the Manali-Leh highway - also experienced snowfall.
The majestic Rohtang Pass, closed since Nov 9, has not been reopened for motorists as it is under three to four feet of snow.
Snow clearing work has been on for the past six days on the Rohtang Pass, said S.K. Doon of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF), a government agency that maintains the Manali-Leh highway that passes through Rohtang Pass.
Other areas of the state, including Dharamsala, Shimla, Solan, Nahan, Bilaspur and Mandi received moderate rain, bringing the temperature down considerably.
- Himachal shivers, Shimla has season's coldest night - Jan 06, 2012
- Himachal shivers, taps freeze in Shimla (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Mercury dips, Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Nov 12, 2011
- Himachal shivers, Shimla sees coldest night of season - Jan 16, 2011
- High-altitude Himachal lakes begin to freeze - Oct 27, 2010
- Manali gets season's first snowfall (Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 09, 2009
- More snow in Shimla, Manali (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Hills near Shimla get season's first snowfall - Dec 29, 2010
- Snowfall in high hills of Himachal Pradesh - Nov 09, 2009
- Mercury plummets with fresh snowfall in Himachal - Jan 29, 2010
- Snow in Manali hills, tourists happy on 11.11.11 - Nov 11, 2011
- Heavy snow in Himachal, tourists stuck (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Shimla, Manali get snowfall, mercury dips (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Hills overlooking Manali get first snowfall - Sep 14, 2010
- Snowfall continues in Himachal hills - Jun 02, 2011
Tags: bilaspur, chamba, cold wave, district headquarters, high altitude, human habitation, india china, kalpa, kullu, manali, manmohan singh, meteorological office, moderate rain, nahan, office director, rohtang pass, snow clearing, snow snow, spiti, wave conditions