Snow In 49 States: Is It A Bit Unnatural?January 13th, 2011 - 8:46 pm ICT by GD
By Meena Kar
Jan 13, (THAINDIAN NEWS) National Weather Service was awestruck on Wednesday, as there had been snow in 49 out of the 50 states of the country. What was much more surprising was that even Hawaii recorded snow on the ground. The only state that remained ‘free of snow’ was Florida. The state of Florida did not record any snowfall. National Weather Service estimated that almost 70.9% of the country was covered with snow. The public affairs officer of NSW, James Peronto said that it was not typical to have that kind of a weather.
Snow in the Northeastern states, and the states of the Rockies Mountain, is pretty natural in winter. Right at this point of time, the NSW recorded that the top of the dormant volcano, Mauna Kea on the Hawaii islands is covered with 7 inches snow. James Peronto said that the only unusual thing that took place was the winter storm that passed through the southeast of the country. He went on to say that generally the southern states do not get snowfall; it needs only a typical type of weather condition that could bring snowfall to the southern states, and that was exactly what actually happened. Snow in the eastern states is also particularly unusual during this time, since the air currents over the Pacific Ocean play a major role to keep out the snow.
Extended snow amounts, of more than 6 inches hit northern Alabama, northern Georgia, southern Arkansas, northern Mississippi and southern Tennessee. The local amount of accumulated snow rose up to 1 foot from the ground. Additionally, thee was notable accumulation of sleet and rain as far as southern Georgia and southern Alabama. With temperatures falling, will Florida remain ’snow-free’? All depends upon the climate.
- Georgians Having A Tough Time As Atlanta Experiences Heavy Snow Storm - Jan 10, 2011
- School Closings in various states due to bad weather - Dec 09, 2009
- White New Year's Eve in Shimla this time (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Gwinnett County Schools To Remain Closed On Monday Due To Bad Weather Conditions - Jan 10, 2011
- Former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue Declares Emergency - Jan 10, 2011
- Britain braces for a white Christmas - Dec 05, 2011
- Record snow in Texas, winter storms hit the Southeast - Feb 13, 2010
- Arctic sea ice loss driving snowy winters - Feb 28, 2012
- Miami Experiences Snow Showers - Jan 10, 2010
- HISD To Remain Closed On Friday - Feb 04, 2011
- Chicago Blizzard 2011 Shuts Down The City - Feb 02, 2011
- Heavy snowfall in Kashmir Valley - Feb 14, 2011
- Massive snowstorm barrels into paralysed Washington - Feb 10, 2010
- Britain braces for cold again - Mar 03, 2012
- Freak diversion of jet stream propels freezing conditions - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,