Smog leaving MoscowAugust 15th, 2010 - 10:27 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, Aug 15 (IANS/RIA Novosti) The smog from wildfires in Russia started leaving Moscow Sunday evening and is unlikely to return early next week, an environmental expert said.
“From the second half of the day, we are observing a drop in the level of air pollution. The reduction (in air pollution) continues and no increases in carbon monoxide and suspended particle concentrations above permissible levels have been registered. The concentrations will continue to decrease by the evening and the return of smoke Monday is unlikely,” said Alexei Popikov of the State Environmental Protection Organisation Mosekomonitoring.
The scientist said the eastern winds that had blown smoke into Moscow from the neighbouring regions would change for the southwestern winds and have a positive effect on the environmental situation in the Russian capital.
Areas affected by wildfires in Russia shrank by 3,000 hectares over the past 24 hours, the Emergency Situations Ministry said Sunday. The ministry said the territory engulfed by wildfires was 53,000 hectares at present.
Since mid-June, the Moscow Region has been in the grips of an abnormal heat wave sparking peat bog and forest fires.
- Pensioners sue Moscow authorities over summer smog - Sep 30, 2010
- Wildfires smoke forces Siberian airport shut - Jul 14, 2012
- 30 killed in Russia wildfires - Aug 01, 2010
- Wildfires in Russia, Canada create poisonous ring around planet - Aug 12, 2010
- Wildfires threaten Russian missile attack warning centre - Aug 07, 2010
- Wildfires ravage Russian villages - Apr 21, 2012
- Emergency declared in Russia as wildfires kill 12 - Jul 31, 2010
- Wildfires kill 52 in Russia - Aug 06, 2010
- Eleven wildfires put out in Russia's Far East - Aug 06, 2012
- Russia's Siberia region hit by wildfires - Jul 30, 2012
- Russia reports 180 wildfires in a day - Jun 13, 2011
- Fires at Russian radioactive sites confirmed - Aug 11, 2010
- Heat forces nearly one-third Russians to behave inappropriately - Aug 05, 2010
- Pollution level goes up as Russia battles fires - Aug 08, 2010
- 40,000 Russian firefighters to lose jobs - Jul 10, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,