Slain Gujarat activist’s kin join illegal mining caseAugust 23rd, 2010 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, Aug 23 (IANS) The Gujarat High Court Monday allowed the brother and maternal uncle of slain right to information (RTI) activist Amit Jethwa to plead in a petition challenging illegal mining around Gujarat’s Sasangir lion sanctuary.
Jethwa was shot dead near the high court July 20. It was due to Jethwa’s efforts that the high court ordered a survey of all the illegal mines in the region. Three people, including a police constable, have been arrested for his murder.
A division bench comprising Chief Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya and Justice K.M. Thaker allowed the petition filed by Jethwa’s brother Bhavesh Jethwa and uncle Vijay Rathod, considering the recent events and the public interest involved in the case.
The court directed the petitioner’s advocate to propose actions that can be taken to stop illegal mining.
The court also asked counsel for the state to tell who would be held responsible in such cases.
The court gave example of illegal mining in Tamil Nadu and actions taken over there. The court observed that the active participation of local police is necessary as without their participation the mafia would take undue advantage of the legal system.
“The mafia should not take legal advantage of inadequate actions,” the chief justice said.
The bench asked counsel for the state to specify as to what role the collector and other government officials have to play in such cases.
“Suspend them and impose fines upon them if necessary as they could also be held responsible,” the chief justice said.
Mentioning the development in Jethwa’s murder case, government counsel P.K. Jani submitted before the court that three people have been arrested in this connection.
Jethwa’s father blamed Dinu Solanki, the Bharatiya Janata Party’s Junagadh MP, for his son’s murder.
The next hearing of the case is fixed Sep 16.
- Policy to curb illegal mining soon, Gujarat tells court - Oct 18, 2010
- Gujarat court summons official over illegal mining - Dec 21, 2010
- Gujarat court accepts plea for CBI probe in activist's murder - Apr 07, 2011
- Slain RTI activist's father wants action against MP - Aug 01, 2011
- BJP MP's nephew arrested for role in Amit Jethwa murder case - Sep 07, 2010
- Accused BJP MP goes underground in Right to Information activist murder case - Jul 22, 2010
- Gujarat govt. criticised for shielding tainted legislator Solanki - Jul 22, 2010
- Gujarat questioned on delay in Lokayukta's appointment - Aug 19, 2011
- BJP MP killed my son: RTI activist's father - Jul 21, 2010
- Gujarat acts to curb illegal mining after court's intervention - Jan 21, 2011
- Constable held for Gujarat RTI activist's killing - Aug 17, 2010
- MP's nephew in remand for RTI activist's murder - Sep 08, 2010
- BJP MP's nephew arrested in RTI activist murder case - Sep 07, 2010
- Cabinet clears Whistleblowers protection Bill (Lead) - Aug 09, 2010
- Court seeks information on declaring begging an offence - Jul 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,