Six more Vidarbha farmers commit suicides, says NGOJuly 1st, 2012 - 10:45 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, July 1 (IANS) Six more Maharashtra farmers committed suicide in the last 72 hours, taking this year’s toll to 422 in the Vidarbha region, said an NGO Sunday.
Delayed rains have caused panic among farmers who had sown seeds early June as there was heavy downpour for two days.
The weather department had forecast a normal monsoon. However, there has been no rainfall since then, said Kishor Tiwari, president of Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS), a farmers’ advocacy group.
Tiwari said those who committed suicide in the last two days are Dhyaneshwar Tayade of Akola, Rajendra Wadhai of Gondia, Ramdas Hingwe of Wardha, Babulal Rathod, Vijay Pimpalshende and Ambadas Hatgoankar of Yavatmal.
The ground water level in Maharashtra has fallen to an alarming level and uncontrolled water pumping was adding to the agrarian crisis in the region, Tiwari said.
He added that rain sensitive crop like Bt. Cotton was making the situation difficult. Farmers who planned to shift to other crops like pulses did not get good quality seeds.
“We demand immediate government intervention to provide direct aid and quality seeds for the dry land farmers who plan to grow pulses, jawar, bajara and maize,” he added.
- Four more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2012
- Seven more Vidarbha farmers commit suicide in last 48 hours - Sep 08, 2011
- Five farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - Sep 02, 2011
- Economist Kelkar to meet Vidarbha farmers - Apr 05, 2012
- 3 more farmers commit suicide in Vidarbha - May 22, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Economist Vijay Kelkar visits crisis-ridden Vidarbha - Apr 06, 2012
- As Rahul spoke, farmer suicides continued in Vidarbha - Sep 08, 2010
- 25 Vidarbha farmers committed suicide in a week: activist - Mar 29, 2010
- Farmers' widows hold silent protest at Rahul rally - Oct 09, 2009
- Vidharba farmers protest Chavan's 'peanuts' bailout package - Dec 15, 2011
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra over farm suicides (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Kalavati out of polls, her party cites 'pressure' - Sep 29, 2009
- Kalavati falls ill, may not contest Maharashtra polls after all - Sep 25, 2009
- Treat farmer suicides as murders, demands Vidarbha outfit - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: advocacy group, alarming level, andolan, bajara, bt cotton, crops, government intervention, ground water level, heavy downpour, land farmers, maharashtra, monsoon, nagpur, ngo, quality seeds, rainfall, suicides, vidarbha region, vjas, weather department