Sikkim quake India’s fourth in SeptemberSeptember 18th, 2011 - 8:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 18 (IANS) The 6.8-magnitude earthquake in India’s Sikkim state Sunday evening was the fourth tremor reported in the country in September so far, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
There have been a total of 15 earthquakes of significance in India and its neighbourhood, as well as all over the world in September this year. The most high-intensity quakes of 7.0 on the Richter scale each were reported from the South Pacific island nations of Vanuatu (Sep 3) and Fiji (Sep 15).
The first quake in India was reported in Manipur’s Ukhrul district Sep 4, and its intensity was 4.2. The second, on Sep 7, was also of low 4.2 intensity and epicentred in Haryana’s Sonepat region. The tremors were felt in Delhi and most of north India.
The third on Sep 11 was epicentred in Gujarat’s Kutch region, but its intensity was a mere 3.4.
- India lacks quake preparedness: Experts - Sep 21, 2011
- Low-intensity quake in northeast - Sep 07, 2012
- No casualty as tremors shake north India - Sep 08, 2011
- Deaths, destruction as strong quake hits India, Nepal - Sep 19, 2011
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Quake-prone Delhi lacks safety measures: Expert - Sep 08, 2011
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- Three minor quakes in Maharashtra, Gujarat (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Earthquakes in India : A chronology - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors rock Kashmir Valley, northwest Pakistan (Third Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Mild quake in UP, aftershocks in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- Quake in northeast India, Bangladesh - Jun 23, 2011
- Quake jolts northeast India - Aug 19, 2012
- Mild tremors felt in Delhi, parts of north India - Jun 20, 2011
- Earthquake in northeast - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: earthquake in india, earthquakes, gujarat, haryana, high intensity, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kutch region, magnitude earthquake, neighbourhood, New Delhi, north india, quakes, richter scale, sep 11, sonepat, sunday evening, tremor, tremors, ukhrul