Showers, strong winds lash DelhiMarch 29th, 2009 - 12:12 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) Heavy showers accompanied by strong winds brought down the temperature in the capital Saturday evening but also led to traffic jams while the weather office said there were possibilities of thundershowers Sunday too.
“The rain was recorded at 2.8 mm and winds were blowing at a speed of 62 kmph. A partly cloudy sky is expected for Sunday too with possibilities of thundershowers in several areas. There is a possibility of thunder squall too,” an Indian Meteorological Department official said.
“The maximum temperature recorded was 31 degrees celsius and minimum was 17 degrees celsius,” the Met Department official added.
Water-logging caused by the rains led to traffic snarls at many points.
“Because of the heavy traffic jam after the rains, I reached home nearly two hours late,” said Shweta Verma, who was stuck in south Delhi.
“The traffic was literally crawling. Cars were moving bumper to bumper. The routine 20-minute journey took me an hour,” said Mudit Mittal.
Mudit added that a number of street lights were not working and at some places trees were uprooted and fallen on the road.
- Delhi to get more rains Tuesday - Jul 13, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, more ahead Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- More rains forecast for Delhi Wednesday - Jul 21, 2010
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Thundershowers cool Delhi, more expected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, add to commuter woes - Jul 08, 2011
- Sporadic rain in Delhi, Thursday to be clear (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Rain lashes national capital - Feb 16, 2011
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Cloudy day, rains expected late in night (Lead) - Jul 21, 2010
- Mumbai areas waterlogged after third day of heavy rains - Jun 11, 2011
- Wet, humid day in Delhi, more rains ahead (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
Tags: bumper to bumper, celsius, cloudy sky, heavy traffic, indian meteorological department, maximum temperature, minute journey, New Delhi, possibilities, saturday evening, showers, south delhi, squall, strong winds, thundershowers, traffic jam, traffic jams, traffic snarls, water logging, weather office