Showers lash Delhi, good weather to continue (Third Lead)April 26th, 2012 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Heavy showers lashed Delhi Thursday, continuing the spell of good weather and making April this year an unusually pleasant month, according to the Met office. Friday could also see some thunderstorms.
Delhi residents experienced a soft, cool breeze and light drizzle during the day, while it started raining heavily towards late evening.
“This April has been more pleasant than usual, experiencing light rain or thunderstorms. The unusually pleasant weather for the month of April is because of western disturbances,” R.K. Jenamani, director of the India Meteorological Department (IGI Airport), told IANS.
Western disturbance is a meteorological term referring to a succession of fast-moving air currents from the Mediterranean region that bring sudden rain and snow to the northwestern parts of the Indian subcontinent.
“Western disturbances at this time are not unusual but these ones have certainly moved at unusual speeds. Usually, the national capital gets dust storms and light rain two or three times in April. But this time, we have seen this for seven to eight times. This pattern is likely to continue till the first week of May,” Jenamani said.
From April 1 to 10, the maximum temperature in the capital touched about 38 degrees Celsius. Then, the weather pattern changed with the western disturbances bringing light showers and dust storms, and pushing the temperatures down.
“The sun is so fierce during the day. But then, there is sudden change in the weather towards the afternoon and evening. The breeze accompanied by a few drops of rain is a bliss,” said Sylvia Paul, shopping at Connaught Place in central Delhi.
According to IMD, some parts of the capital experienced traces of rain Thursday evening couple with cloudy skies and cool breeze.
The minimum temperature Thursday settled at 22.6 degrees, two notches below average, while the maximum temperature hovered around 34.6 degrees, four notches below average for this time of the season. The met department has forecast cloudy day with possibility of thundery developments Friday.
“The skies will be partly cloudy with possibility of thundery developments in some areas. The maximum and minimum temperatures Friday are expected to hover around 36 and 23 degrees Celsius,” added the official.
Wednesday’s maximum temperature was 35.6 degrees Celsius, three notches below the season’s average, while the minimum was 22.6 degrees Celsius, two notches below average, the official said.
- It's coolest April in Delhi, good weather to continue (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- It's coolest April in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Coolest April in Delhi comes to end Monday (Second lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains in store - Apr 26, 2012
- Cool morning in Delhi, rains expected - Apr 11, 2011
- Sunny Saturday in Delhi, cloudy Sunday expected (Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, clear day ahead - Apr 25, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, rain in store - Apr 12, 2012
- Delhi has a breezy Tuesday (Lead) - Aug 14, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, rain likely - Feb 12, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, light rain expected Saturday (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Bright day in Delhi, thunder storm expected - May 11, 2012
- Sunny morning in Delhi, rain likely - May 13, 2012
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, warm day ahead - Apr 16, 2012
- Drizzle in Delhi, cloudy weather to stay (Lead) - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: air currents, central delhi, change in the weather, cloudy skies, connaught place, cool breeze, delhi residents, drops of rain, dust storms, good weather, india meteorological department, indian subcontinent, light drizzle, light rain, light showers, mediterranean region, met office, rain and snow, sudden rain, weather pattern