Showers, hail hit potato crop in AgraFebruary 26th, 2011 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Feb 26 (IANS) Showers accompanied with hail in some areas lashed Agra district early Saturday morning, leaving farmers in this potato belt worried for the crop as it could be affected with diseases and yield poor quality.The region around Agra produces more than 30 percent of the country’s total potato yield.
“We have had several rounds of heavy showers in the past two weeks. The potato crop could be badly affected with diseases, the quality could also deteriorate and those who were about to dig out the potato will now have to wait for the weather to clear up,” said Ravi Singh, a farmer of the Barauli Aheer block of Agra district.
Farmers in Shamshabad block of Agra district, Khandauli block of Aligarh district, and parts of Firozabad district reported hail with gusty winds.
“The rains may be good for wheat, gram and pulses but for the potato cultivators the situation has turned alarming,” farmer Jai Prakash Baghael said.
Several spells of showers in the past fortnight have caused worry to potato growers in the entire belt from Aligarh to the Rajasthan border.
Uttar Pradesh state horticulture department officials have advised farmers to wait for the moisture to dry up.
Deputy Director (Potatoes) Nand Lal and potato development officer J.P. Gupta said the inclement weather has hit the potato crop. There could be some relief if the cloud cover cleared.
Bichpuri Krishi Vigyan Kendra officials said this was the most challenging phase for the potato cultivators. The problem is to make the crop fit for cold storage.
Representatives of the potato cultivators’ committee have already estimated a 20 percent loss. It could go up if the current weather conditions continue, they said.
However, the Agra Water Works authorities were relieved as the rain helped the Yamuna river, which had been reduced to a virtual drain and the pollutant levels in the water had gone alarmingly high.
- Agra growers in distress as potato goes cheap - Sep 13, 2011
- Heavy downpour signals trouble for potato farmers - Feb 16, 2011
- Rain worries farmers in western UP - Apr 12, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Taj city - Feb 15, 2011
- Bumper potato crop nightmare for Agra farmers - Dec 11, 2011
- Heavy showers lash Agra - May 19, 2011
- Rain brings cheer to Agra farmers - Jul 30, 2012
- Agra records season's coldest night at 0.6 degree - Jan 06, 2011
- Sombre I-Day for Agra, Mathura, Aligarh farmers - Aug 15, 2010
- Taj city lashed by heavy showers - Sep 10, 2012
- Agra has first monsoon showers, plunges in darkness - Jul 06, 2012
- West UP farmers upbeat after monsoon rains - Sep 01, 2012
- Agra residents angry over erratic power supply - Dec 26, 2011
- Rain ushers in 2012 in Agra - Jan 01, 2012
- Heavy showers lash Taj city - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: agra, cold storage, current weather conditions, department officials, district farmers, fortnight, gusty winds, horticulture department, inclement weather, lal, monastic complexes, pollutant levels, potato crop, potato cultivators, potato development, potato growers, prakash, ravi singh, state horticulture, water works, yamuna river