Show respect to chickens, install their statues, says PETAMay 4th, 2009 - 6:36 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 4 (IANS) In observance of International Chicken Respect Day, an animal rights organization Monday asked authorities to install statues of chickens in busy parts of all cities across India.
International Chicken Respect Day is May 4. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) said it has sent letters to all civic authorities across the country to do this to pay respect to the billions of chickens which are killed for food.
“We have sent letters to all municipal corporations across the country requesting them to install the statues of chickens in busy parts of the cities,” Nikunj Sharma, Vegan Campaign Coordinator of PETA India told IANS.
Chickens are fascinating animals which in some ways are as intelligent as mammals such as cats, dogs and even some primates, he said.
“They are very social animals who like to spend their days together scratching for food, cleaning themselves in dust baths, roosting in trees and lying in the sun,” he added.
“Mother hens cluck to their unborn chicks, who chirp back to their mothers from within their shells. But the billions of chickens raised on factory farms each year never have the chance to do anything that is natural or important to them,” he said.
“They will never even meet their parents, let alone be raised by them,” he said.
“Chickens killed for meat are raised in huge, waste-filled factories. They are bred to grow so large that many cannot even walk, and they often have their wings and legs broken,” he said.
“When they are only 6 or 7 weeks old, they are crammed into cages and trucked to slaughter, where their throats are cut and they are dropped into tanks of scalding-hot water - often while they are still conscious.”
“Erecting a chicken statue in a busy part of the city will elevate these bright, inquisitive birds in the minds of residents, perhaps convincing many to help by leaving chicken off their plates,” PETA’s chief functionary Anuradha Sawhney said.
- Rescued hens to feast at this Christmas Party! - Dec 13, 2010
- Chicks can be 'woken' up inside eggs - May 04, 2012
- It pays to go veg - Aug 30, 2012
- Declare Earth Day meat-free day, PETA tells PM - Apr 21, 2010
- Memorial Day crock pot recipes - May 28, 2012
- Body painted PETA activist to protest - Aug 06, 2012
- Hema Malini urges ban on Tamil Nadu's Jallikattu - Jul 01, 2011
- PETA offers to help Kingfisher Airlines through new ads (With Images) - May 02, 2012
- Mother hens 'can feel their chicks' pain' - Mar 09, 2011
- PETA targets Joe Biden for feeding U.S. troops hot dogs - Sep 14, 2010
- PETA India to sensitise children towards animals - Aug 03, 2012
- Ellen DeGeneres, Tim Gunn named PETA's People of the Year - Dec 31, 2009
- Animal rights group awards children's film - Jun 23, 2011
- Postal stamp sought to honour India's vegetarian heritage - Sep 28, 2011
- Row over re-installation of demolished statues of Telugu icons - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: animal rights organization, campaign coordinator, chickens, civic authorities, cluck, dust baths, ethical treatment of animals, hens, india international, lying in the sun, mammals, municipal corporations, observance, people for the ethical treatment of animals, peta india, primates, sawhney, social animals, statues, treatment of animals