Shark kills South African surferMarch 23rd, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Johannesburg, March 23 (DPA) A 16-year-old surfer died after being attacked by a shark off the coast of South Africa, a media report said Monday.
The youth was part of a group conducting a surfing exercise in Port St. Johns in Eastern Cape province when the shark bit him in the leg and buttocks, the newspaper The Herald reported.
He managed to paddle to shore, where his instructor and a lifeguard pulled him to safety. But he died later in the hospital from his injuries.
The incident is the second of its kind along the ruggedly beautiful Wild Coast in two months.
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Surfer falls into shark jaws - Mar 22, 2012
- Big-wave surfer wakes up from coma - Sep 06, 2012
- French diplomat mauled by shark while kite surfing - Sep 12, 2011
- Surfer Stephen King has a lucky escape from shark attack - Dec 12, 2011
- Shark kills surfer at Australian beach - Sep 04, 2011
- Santa Barbara Beaches Closed After Lucas Ransom's Death - Oct 25, 2010
- Boy Killed In Shark Attack At Santa Barbara - Oct 23, 2010
- Stranded kite surfer survives sharks' attack - Mar 10, 2012
- Australian surfer dies of shark attack - Jul 14, 2012
- Surfers Eagerly Wait For Eddie Aikau 2011 Surfing Competition - Jan 20, 2011
- India will remember Roebuck for his indictment of Australian team - Nov 13, 2011
- Lucas Ransom's Mother Remembers Her Dead Son - Oct 23, 2010
- Pattinson upset by shirtless photos - Apr 18, 2012
- Poke sharks in eyes if attacked: Russian officials - Aug 19, 2011