Severe traffic chaos in Delhi after evening rainfallSeptember 18th, 2008 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 17 (IANS) A spell of rain Wednesday evening left many parts of the national capital water logged as thousands of commuters returning home had a harrowing time negotiating serpentine traffic snarls.Scores of busy roads and traffic junctions like the Ring Road, Race Course Road, Aurangzeb Road, ITO, Hauz Khas, Green Park, Munirka, Vasant Vihar, Vasant Kunj, Vikas Puri, Dhaula Kuan, Moolchand, Lajpat Nagar, Ashram, Laxmi Nagar, Pandav Nagar, Preet Vihar and Punjabi Bagh were jam-packed.
“Once it rains, traffic goes haywire in the capital. Traffic signals were not working and vehicles are almost at a standstill,” said Shailesh Kumar Singh, a government employee.
“It took me over two hours to reach R.K. Puram from Krishi Bhawan which normally takes less than 30 minutes. Where are the traffic police?” Singh wondered.
Suresh Kumar, who travelled from Connaught Place to Palam Vihar in a bus on route no. 781, said: “Bad roads and incomplete construction works are really making life difficult whenever it rains.
“How do we call New Delhi a world-class city, when we don’t have basic amenities like well-maintained roads? The traffic situation is really bad,” Kumar said with a note of frustration after spending over three hours to reach home.
This is not the first time that New Delhi was almost clogged after a heavy spell of rain. While the traffic police blame bad roads and civic authorities for the chaos, officials only make tall claims about improving the road conditions.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the capital received over 7 mm of rain in the evening. Meteorologists forcast the city will experience cloudy weather Thursday.
On Wednesday, New Delhi registered a minimum temperature of 25 degrees Celsius and a maximum of 35 degrees, one notch above the normal level.
- Rains lash Delhi, add to commuter woes - Jul 08, 2011
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Heavy rain brings capital to standstill (Second lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, chaos rules roads (Lead) - Jul 20, 2010
- It rains chaos on Delhi roads (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2010
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Chaos rules Delhi roads as rains continue - Jul 20, 2010
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, chaos on roads (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Chaos on roads as heavy rains lash Delhi (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi causing long traffic jams - Sep 10, 2009
- Traffic jams leave Delhi motorists fuming - Jan 16, 2012
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012