Seven foreigners among 10 rescued from Kashmir avalancheJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 21 (IANS) Seven foreign tourists and three guides were Saturday rescued from an avalanche at the upper reaches of Gulmarg ski resort by police with the assistance of tourism department officials and some locals.
“Today (Saturday) at about 12.45 p.m., a snow avalanche occurred at Haptkhud, two kilomtres left of the Kungdoori/Apharwat ridge in the upper reaches of Gulmarg,” the local police said in a press statement.
It said that a joint rescue operation was launched by Baramulla police, tourism department and the locals of the area under Muhammad Yousuf Chowdary, sub-divisional police officer of Tangmarg in south Kashmir.
“The party rushed to the spot and rescued all the seven foreign tourists and three local tourist guides from the avalanche by utilising the services of a helicopter. Two of the guides and four foreigners have sustained minor injuries,” it added.
- Two killed in Kashmir bus accident - Jul 11, 2012
- Solang has great snow, but lacks professional touch: Skiers - Feb 29, 2012
- Heliskiing lures skiers in Jammu and Kashmir - Jan 22, 2011
- Foreign skiers crowd Manali slopes - Feb 06, 2012
- Avalanche warning issued in Kashmir - Jan 07, 2012
- The white hills of Gulmarg rock back to glory (With Image) - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: Rescue operations over (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Kashmiri kids take to skis like ducks to water in Gulmarg - Feb 07, 2011
- Officer, 16 soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Fifth Lead) - Feb 08, 2010
- Gulmarg weaves its magic around tourists (With images) - Apr 03, 2011
- Kashmir sees record tourists, hundreds more for New Year - Dec 31, 2010
- Kashmir reverberates with summer tourists (With images) - Jun 24, 2011
- School bus in Kashmir rolls into gorge, 3 killed (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- J-K avalanche: Rescue operations in Khinmarg called off: 17 jawans, 1 officer die - Feb 08, 2010
- Still snowing tourists in Himachal hills - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: department officials, foreigners, helicopter, jan 21, kashmir, locals, minor injuries, muhammad yousuf, police officer, ski resort, snow avalanche, south kashmir, tourism department, tourist guides, tourists, upper reaches