Sena men shut down ‘pollution tax’ post at LonavalaJune 25th, 2012 - 10:23 pm ICT by IANS
Pune, June 25 (IANS) An illegal ‘pollution tax’ collection centre at the popular hill resort of Lonavala in Maharashtra was shut down Monday by angry activists of the Shiv Sena and its youth wing Yuva Sena, a party leader said.
The tax was allegedly being collected on behalf of the Lonavala Municipal Council through booths set up on the National Highway No. 4 at the hill station, about 60 km from here.
“The pollution tax was being collected illegally, without any government notification. Moreover, they charged Rs.20 per person instead of per vehicle, which is four times the permitted slab of Rs.5 for such a small town,” the Shiv Sena leader said.
Demanding an investigation by police or any other agency, he said since the toll tax was collected per person instead of per vehicle, it is clear that it was not being ploughed back for road maintenance or creating any alternative roads.
“It is not clear what was the purpose behind the so-called ‘pollution tax’… or where the money was going,” the leader said.
The twin hill-stations of Lonavala and Khandala are nestled in the Western Ghats and are popular tourist destinations round the year, around 120 km from Mumbai.
Incidentally, for the past few weeks, the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena led by Raj Thackeray also has been spearheading a state-wide agitation against toll tax collection centres.
- First state-run water park opens in Lonavala (With Images) - May 07, 2012
- Defiant MNS asks Mumbai residents not to pay toll tax - Jul 29, 2012
- Mumbai cable operators block Colors against 'Big Boss' (Lead) - Oct 14, 2010
- Top Maharashtra tourist destinations to get full 'power' - Apr 27, 2012
- Mumbai cable operators block Colors against 'Big Boss' - Oct 13, 2010
- Shiv Sena says Colours has apologised - Oct 15, 2010
- Raj Thackeray attacks Maharashtra government on toll tax - Jun 12, 2012
- Colors TV gets court nod to continue 'Bigg Boss' shooting (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Shutdown in Lonavala against 'Bigg Boss' - Oct 11, 2010
- MNS activists attack toll posts across Maharashtra - Jun 13, 2012
- Businessman shot dead in Maharashtra - Jun 20, 2011
- Anna Hazare may make it to 'Time' cover soon - Nov 26, 2011
- Congress civic chief murdered in Maharashtra - May 26, 2009
- 20 Shiv Sainiks held for trying to disrupt 'Bigg Boss' (Lead, changing dateline) - Oct 05, 2010
- Anna Hazare's NGO joins anti-'Bigg Boss' brigade - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: activists, agitation, booths, government notification, illegal pollution, khandala, lonavala, mumbai, party leader, pollution tax, popular hill, pune, raj thackeray, road maintenance, sena leader, shiv sena, slab, tourist destinations, western ghats, yuva