Season’s heaviest rain halts DelhiAugust 21st, 2012 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) The season’s heaviest downpour in the national capital Tuesday morning left thousands stranded for hours in traffic jams as many parts of the city were waterlogged. The Met office has forecast more showers.
The city received 54.5 mm of rain till 8.30 a.m., the season’s highest so far, an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
“The sky will remain generally cloudy. Some spells of rain are likely in some parts of the city. Some places may see heavy showers,” the official said.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be around 31 and 26 degrees Celsius, respectively.
The minimum temperature recorded in the morning was 27.8 degrees Celsius, a notch below average for the season.
Humidity stood at 100 percent.
Though the rains brought down the temperature, there was chaos on the roads.
Streets were waterlogged due to clogged drains and traffic crawled, leading to frayed tempers.
Amongst the worst-hit were areas near the parliament and roads leading to Connaught Place in the heart of the city.
“I was stuck for an hour near Connaught Place,” said Mukut Sharma, who was riding a two-wheeler.
There were long lines of vehicles near ITO in central Delhi and Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi. Parts of south Delhi, with posh colonies such as Vasant Vihar, fared no better.
The entire Aurobindo Marg stretch in south Delhi, for instance, was jammed, with vehicles turning into colony roads like Green Park. It was a gridlock in many other areas as well.
According to Delhi traffic helpline, vehicular movement was slow in Azad market, Dhaula Kuan in south Delhi and Mori Gate in north Delhi.
A total of 244.4 mm of rain has been recorded in Delhi since monsoon began June-end. The rain deficit is 47 percent.
The monsoon is expected to last in Delhi till Sep 20.
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Another rainy day in Delhi, more showers likely - Sep 06, 2010
- Muggy day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, season's wettest day (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Delhi for second day, more expected (Lead) - Sep 03, 2010
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Wet Delhi causes traffic snarls (Lead) - Aug 12, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Rains drench Delhi again, more showers likely (Second Lead) - Jul 27, 2011
- Rainy Saturday for Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
Tags: central delhi, clogged drains, connaught place, downpour, east delhi, green park, gridlock, heart of the city, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, laxmi nagar, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, north delhi, place in the heart, south delhi, tempers, traffic jams, tuesday morning, two wheeler