Search on for alligators that escaped flooded zooJune 21st, 2008 - 4:01 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 21 (IANS) Three alligators that escaped from the Tata Zoological Park in Jamshedpur as floodwaters swept into their enclosure are still at large after three days, authorities said Saturday. “We have spotted the alligators at three spots in the Subarnarekha river,” M.S. Jain, director of Tata Zoological Park in the southern Jharkhand town, told IANS. “Due to the fast flow of the river, we are finding it difficult to catch them. But we will catch them very soon.”
The zoo was submerged in 14 feet of water during Wednesday’s flash flood. Three alligators and one crocodile managed to escape as the floodwaters swept out. The crocodile was caught Thursday.
A cage with two leopards was also inundated. The leopards clung to the cage grille to save their lives.
“This is the worst situation we are facing,” Jain had said Thursday.
The torrential rain coupled with opening of gates of two dams by Orissa flooded Jamshedpur and Seraikela districts of Jharkhand. The flood rendered over 10,000 homeless and affected 150,000 people. Over 2,000 farm animals were washed away in the flood.
The water level is now receding. An alert has been sounded in the flood-affected areas apprehending an outbreak of diseases.
- Aurangabad tigress gifted to Jamshedpur's Tata Zoological Park - Dec 11, 2010
- Thousands displaced in Assam flash floods - Aug 15, 2011
- 100 crocodiles escape from flood-hit Thailand farm - Oct 11, 2011
- Leopard mauls croc keeper to death in China zoo - Jul 19, 2012
- Bank manager shot dead in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2010
- Five dead after rivers overflow in southern Laos - Aug 13, 2011
- Nine lakh displaced in Assam flood havoc - Aug 24, 2011
- Crocodile found in trench in Hyderabad - Nov 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka to catch man-eating crocodiles - Apr 13, 2012
- Leopard pays a visit to Hema Malini's bungalow - May 27, 2011
- In bear sanctuary, flooding causes weighty problems - Sep 14, 2011
- Three crocodiles escape custody in China - Apr 19, 2012
- Crocodile kills minor in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 16, 2011
- Floods trigger epidemic fears in Meghalaya - Aug 22, 2011
- Leopard enters Hema Malini bungalow, vanishes (Third Lead) - May 27, 2011
Tags: alligators, crocodile, dams, diseases, farm animals, flash flood, floodwaters, gates, jain, jamshedpur, jharkhand, june 21, leopards, orissa, outbreak, tata, torrential rain, water level, zoo, zoological park