Scottish wildcats may become extinct, only 35 leftSeptember 13th, 2012 - 9:31 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 13 (IANS) Scottish wildcats may be the next species to be wiped out from the earth, as conservationists say the numbers of pure-bred cats may have fallen to about 35 individuals.
According to the Daily Mail, a team from the Scottish Wildcat Association (SWA) reviewed 2,000 records of camera trap sightings, eyewitness reports and road kills.
The analysis suggested there could be just 35 wildcats - also known as the Highland Tiger.
Other research also estimated there could be less than 400 pure-bred cats.
A report funded by the Scottish Natural Heritage (SNH) estimated there were 150 breeding pairs left.
Disease and inter-breeding with domestic and feral cats are said to be among the main threats to pure-bred wildcats.
The SWA said licensed trapping of the mammals should be allowed so blood samples could be taken in an effort to better understand the state of the population. It has also suggested relocating pure wildcats to areas where there are fewer risks.
- UAE breeds world's first Arabian cobra in captivity - Aug 07, 2011
- Will India's indigenous horses trot into sunset? - Mar 21, 2012
- Elusive wildcat species believed extinct, spotted - Jan 17, 2011
- Giant cattle may be brought back from extinction - Jan 18, 2010
- American pet cats are No. 1 enemy of birds: Study - Mar 21, 2011
- 'Kitty cam' shows cats are killers - Aug 09, 2012
- There are more giant feral pigs than humans in Australia - Feb 07, 2010
- Highways through Indian tiger reserves will destroy habitat - Apr 16, 2012
- Why lions roar and cats meow - Sep 29, 2010
- Kashmir's Bakharwal dog could be gone in four years (Feature) - Apr 26, 2012
- Not bad diet or lack of exercise - viruses could be to blame for weight gain - Dec 13, 2010
- Wolf nannies shorten male pups' sex lives: Study - Oct 24, 2010
- A Hybrid Savannah Cat Is The Tallest Among Domestic Felines - Nov 08, 2009
- European volcanoes wiped off Neanderthals - Sep 23, 2010
- Can the gharial win the battle for survival? - Mar 18, 2012
Tags: blood samples, conservationists, daily mail, earth, eyewitness reports, feral cats, london, mammals, pairs, population, pure bred cats, scottish natural heritage, sightings, snh, swa, tiger, wildcat, wildcats