Satellites to help Beijing expose fake afforestationAugust 21st, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 21 (IANS) Beijing’s afforestation watchdog has said it will turn to satellite monitoring to expose fake green drives in the city and prevent the misuse of plantation funds, a media report said Tuesday.
“To strengthen the supervision of our forest land management cost, we are planning to use five satellites over Beijing to monitor forest land,” Deng Naiping, head of the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Landscape and Forestry, was quoted as saying by The Beijing News.
Deng, who was speaking at a conference of the city’s forestry officials Monday, said satellite monitoring will help expose embezzlement of plantation management funds, reported Xinhua.
He said there have been reports of forestry officials in other cities making false claims of the plantation funds.
“With the help of the five satellites up there, it will be quite easy to tell whether and where the trees have been planted,” Deng said.
The official added that his bureau is in talks with the Beijing Municipal Bureau of Land and Resources, which has been using satellites to monitor Beijing’s illegal land use since 2006, over the proposals.
He also said Beijing will take notes from Singapore, which is keeping records of every piece of its forest land.
Large-scale misuse of public money in the name of afforestation is not uncommon in China, where media have reported cases of county officials having mountains painted green to meet afforestation requirements.
- China to plant 26 billion trees over next decade - Dec 14, 2011
- India named global host of World Environment Day 2011 - Feb 23, 2011
- Beijing cops chase, catch a stray canine! - May 14, 2012
- Chinese official sentenced for embezzlement - Jun 05, 2012
- Indian satellite to check greenhouse gas, aerosol emissions - Sep 28, 2010
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
- Rains boost Agra's green cover - Sep 02, 2012
- What is a forest? India yet to define (World Environment Day is on June 5) - Jun 04, 2011
- Over 9 hectares of forests lost per minute: UN report - Dec 01, 2011
- Jairam Ramesh backs real-time monitoring of forests - Mar 26, 2011
- Special MGNREGS courts planned: Ramesh - Nov 09, 2011
- World Bank lends $60 mn for afforestation in China - May 07, 2010
- Beijing Police may use drones during emergencies - May 13, 2011
- Beijing forest shield to get thicker - May 04, 2012
- Hu wants plantation drives to support scientific development - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: afforestation, beijing, county officials, deng, embezzlement, forest land management, forestry officials, landscape, management funds, mountains, plantation management, proposals, public money, satellite, satellites, singapore, supervision, trees, watchdog, xinhua