Sand artist Sudarsan wins prize in MoscowMay 31st, 2008 - 9:26 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, May 31 (IANS) A sand sculpture of Lord Ganesh expressing his concern over global warming, created by Orissa artist Sudarsan Patnaik, has won the people’s choice prize at an international sand sculpture championship in Moscow, the artist said Saturday. Patnaik told IANS by phone from Moscow that he created a 15-feet high sculpture of Hindu god Ganesh in the first International Sand Sculpture Championship held in Russia May 24-30.
“I had shown the melting of glaciers in the Himalayas and in the flowing water Lord Ganesh is travelling on a boat with a sign ‘Divine Concern on Global Warming’. This was to educate people through art about the effects global warming,” he said.
“The image created by me won the ‘People’s Choice’ prize. The artists from Italy won the ‘Jury Choice’ and Ireland won the ‘Sculptor Choice’ prize in this championship,” said Patnaik.
Patnaik said he was the only participant from India. Other participants were from Italy, Spain, Japan, Bulgaria, The Netherlands, Ireland, Russia, and Denmark.
The championship ended May 30 at Moscow. The prize giving ceremony was held Friday evening where the jury announced the awards and India won the ‘Peoples Choice’ award.
Patnaik hails from Puri, 56 km from here. He has participated in over 35 international sand sculpture championships and has won several awards.
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Sudarsan wins people's choice prize in Canada (With Images) - Sep 08, 2010
- Sand artist wins gold in Moscow for Raj Kapoor sculpture - May 06, 2010
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Aug 01, 2010
- Sand sculpture of Santa Claus spreads 'Go Green' message in Puri - Dec 25, 2010
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- Sand image of goddess Durga to highlight global warming (With Images) - Sep 23, 2009
- 40-foot sand Ganesha spreads global warming message (With Image) - Aug 23, 2009
- Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins Berlin contest (With Image) - Jul 13, 2009
- Sand sculpture in Orissa for Obama - Nov 04, 2010
Tags: bhubaneswar, bulgaria, choice prize, flowing water, friday evening, global warming, god ganesh, himalayas, hindu god, international sand, lord ganesh, may 24, melting of glaciers, moscow, orissa, participant, peoples choice award, sand sculpture, sculptor, spain japan