Russia switches to daylight saving timeMarch 29th, 2010 - 6:35 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, March 29 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Russia will now have nine time zones instead of 11 as the country switched to daylight saving time (DST) Sunday, turning the clocks forward one hour at 2:00 a.m. local time.
Daylight saving time was introduced in the Soviet Union to reduce energy consumption by making the most of longer days in summer. Russia changes to and from DST on the same dates as Europe, moving clocks forward one hour on the last Sunday of March and back one hour on the last Sunday of October.
The first recorded time change in Russia was in 1917.
Russia also united the Urals and Siberian time zones as part of a project to slash the time difference across the country’s vast territory.
Up until now, Russia had 11 time zones, spanning a vast territory from the western exclave of Kaliningrad (-1 Moscow time) to Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky in the Far East (+9 Moscow time).
The project, approved by Russian President Dmitry Medvedev Wednesday, reduced the number of time zones in Russia from 11 to 9. Sunday the Samara Region and the Republic of Udmurtia, which were one hour ahead of Moscow, moved into the capital’s time zone.
Chukotka and Kamchatka, two regions in the Russian Far East, moved into the Magadan time zone (+8) to be one hour closer to Moscow time.
Doctors have argued whether switching to DST, also called summer time in some countries, and back, is harmful to people’s health, with some saying the switch deteriorates the condition of people with cardiovascular diseases and unstable psyche, and others denying that any serious harm could be inflicted.
- World's 7-billionth child is Russian - Oct 31, 2011
- Kamchatka doesn't want to get closer to Moscow in time - Dec 11, 2010
- 10 die in Russian plane crash - Sep 12, 2012
- Russia not to switch to winter time anymore - Mar 27, 2011
- Russians head for polls to elect new president (Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Over 380,000 policemen for Russia's election day - Mar 04, 2012
- Russia observes 'Day of Silence' ahead of polls - Dec 03, 2011
- Russians reach late for work after time switch - Oct 31, 2011
- Philippines greets world's 7 billionth baby - Oct 31, 2011
- 11 die as cargo plane crashes in Russia - Aug 09, 2011
- Nine rescued after helicopter carrying 16 German tourists crashes in Russia's Kamchatka - Apr 10, 2010
- Transport plane crash in Russia's Far East kills 11 - Aug 09, 2011
- Russia leader wants pot, prostitution made legal - Jan 20, 2012
- Russia votes for parliament, a test of Putin's leadership - Dec 04, 2011
- Stong earthquake hits off the coast of Kamchatka, Russia - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,