Royal feather in the cap for emperor penguinAugust 16th, 2008 - 1:38 pm ICT by IANS
Edinburgh, Aug 16 (IANS) Nils Olav was impressive as he marched up to a contingent of the Royal Guard to receive a knighthood on behalf of the King of Norway. Sir Nils is an emperor penguin residing at the Edinburgh zoo.
The six-year-old penguin is the third at the zoo to have enjoyed publicity during the promotional ceremonies, held by the Norwegian King’s Guard when they are in the city to perform at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo.
A penguin was adopted by the guardsmen at the suggestion of a young lieutenant on a visit to the zoo in 1972 and more honours were conferred on him and his successors in subsequent visits.
The penguin, named after the young soldier Nils Egelien, and Norway’s then King Olav, is so fondly regarded that he even has his own bronze statue near the penguin enclosure, unveiled in 2005 when the penguin was promoted to the rank of honorary colonel-in-chief.
Before Nils had performed his impressive march, Major- General Euan Loudon, chief executive of the Tattoo, who performed the knighting, described him as an “iconic penguin”.
“Scotland and Norway have long historical connections with each other and this is a very important occasion for both the Tattoo and our capital city.”
The king’s citation, which was read out to the crowd, spoke of “our trusty and well-beloved” Nils Olav, reports The Scotsman.
Former soldier Egelien, who travelled to Edinburgh for the ceremony, said he had spoken with the king earlier in the day and he had been “heartily entertained” to hear about the planned ceremony.
Norway gave the zoo its first king penguin in 1913, the year of its opening. It now boasts more than 120 and the penguin pool is the biggest in the world.
- Penguin receives knighthood in zoo ceremony! - Aug 16, 2008
- Britain's Coldstream Guards 'facing the axe' after 360 years - Jul 24, 2011
- Tagore exhibition opens at Edinburgh Napier University - Jul 10, 2012
- Queen approves 'beloved' Prince William's marriage to 'trusty' Kate - Apr 22, 2011
- New timings for 'Change of Guard' ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan - Aug 16, 2012
- Norway holds memorial for twin attack victims - Aug 22, 2011
- Penguins killed by foxes in London Zoo - Oct 16, 2010
- Zoo animals have their own games (Olympic diary) - Aug 10, 2012
- Microchip leads police to Kelli the penguin - Jul 09, 2010
- Penguin Kelli Tracked By Police Using A Microchip - Jul 09, 2010
- Once taboo, tattoos now the new fashion statement - May 07, 2011
- Craig, Weisz marry - Jun 26, 2011
- North Dakota National Guard mobilizes for flood operations - Mar 16, 2010
- Indian zoos to be graded on performance - Apr 10, 2012
- Now, National Film Awards to be held May 3 every year - May 03, 2012
Tags: bronze statue, colonel in chief, contingent, edinburgh military, edinburgh zoo, emperor penguin, guardsmen, honorary colonel, honours, king of norway, king olav, king penguin, knighthood, military tattoo, nils olav, norwegian king, penguin, penguin pool, successors, trusty