Rohtang Pass temporarily closed to traffic due to snowMay 10th, 2009 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, May 10 (IANS) The Rohtang Pass, at an altitude of 13,050 feet in Himachal Pradesh’s Kullu district, was temporarily closed for vehicular traffic due to heavy snow, officials said. The pass was opened to the traffic after four months’ closure earlier this month.
“The road link to the tribal Lahaul Valley through the Rohtang Pass was temporarily closed this (Sunday) morning due to heavy snow,” Kullu Deputy Commissioner M. Sudha Devi told IANS by phone.
“The traffic has been closed to avoid any mishap due to accumulation of snow (on the road). The traffic will be restored as the snow-clearing operation is completed,” she added.
However, the work to completely open the 475-km Manali-Leh National Highway 21 is in progress.
S.K. Doon, commander of the 38 Task Force of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) - a wing of the Border Road Organisation that maintains the highway - said the complete opening of the Manali-Leh highway was going on at a fast pace at different locations.
“Our priority is to make the 60-km stretch between Manali and Rohtang Pass again motorable so that the link to the Lahaul Valley would be restored,” he added.
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Through mountain of snow, they open road to Lahaul (Feature with image) - Apr 27, 2012
- Manali-Leh highway reopens for traffic - Jun 07, 2010
- Time for pulsating action on Himachal highway - Jun 09, 2011
- Temperatures up, yet Himachal's Lahaul Valley snowbound - Apr 12, 2010
- Stuck since December, they await Himalayan road's reopening - May 24, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opened to traffic - May 12, 2009
- Manali-Leh highway closed after landslides - Aug 06, 2010
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Luxury bus service between Manali and Leh reopens - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: accumulation, altitude, border road, closure, deputy commissioner, doon, four months, heavy snow, himachal pradesh, kullu district, mishap, pace, priority, rohtang pass, snow clearing, sudha, sunday morning, task force, vehicular traffic