Rohtang Pass reopens for trafficAugust 6th, 2012 - 12:57 pm ICT by IANS
Manali, Aug 6 (IANS) Rohtang Pass, the crucial high altitude road link between Manali and Keylong in Himachal Pradesh, has been re-opened for traffic after remaining closed for two days due to landslides triggered by a cloudburst, an official said here Monday.
“Traffic was restored Sunday evening and all stranded vehicles have been cleared,” an official the 38 Task Force of the General Reserve Engineering Force (GREF) told IANS.
The GREF is a wing of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) that maintains crucial highways in the country.
The cloudburst occurred in the hills overlooking Manali Friday night, damaging two bailey bridges near Palchan and Dhundi villages, 25 km from here.
A bailey bridge is a portable pre-fabricated truss bridge, designed for use by military engineering units.
“Work on reconstructing the bridges is on. But the traffic on an alternate bridge in Palchan diverted. Still the road is slippery and we are advising motorists to exercise caution while travelling,” the official added.
The majestic Rohtang Pass, located 52 km from Manali at an altitude of 13,051 feet, lies on the Manali-Leh National Highway-21.
The idyllic and pastoral settings of the Himalayas beyond the pass have been drawing an increasing number of backpackers, especially foreigners, for adventure-related activities like mountain biking, rock-climbing and cross-jungle trekking.
- Rohtang Pass reopens after five months - May 25, 2011
- Manali-Rohtang Pass closed after cloudburst - Aug 04, 2012
- Tourists evacuated from Rohtang Pass - Jul 11, 2011
- Stranded tourists rescued from Rohtang Pass (Lead) - Jun 30, 2011
- Hundreds stranded near Rohtang Pass - Jun 30, 2011
- Rohtang Pass re-opens for traffic - Apr 14, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 01, 2011
- Rohtang Pass to be re-opened for traffic this week - Apr 11, 2010
- Himachal likely to get 50,000 weekend tourists - Aug 09, 2012
- Avoid Manali-Leh highway, snowfall likely - Oct 23, 2011
- Manali-Leh highway closed after landslides - Aug 06, 2010
- Over 150 stranded in Himachal hills - Jun 10, 2010
- Manali-Keylong highway reopens - Jun 11, 2010
- Snow clearing work begins on Manali-Leh highway - Mar 03, 2010
- Himachal's Saach Pass to reopen in June - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: backpackers, bailey bridge, bailey bridges, border roads, bro, cloudburst, foreigners, friday night, gref, high altitude, highways, himalayas, jungle trekking, landslides, military engineering, motorists, mountain biking, pastoral settings, sunday evening, truss bridge