Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villagesJuly 5th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 5 (IANS) Hundreds of people in Bihar’s Saharsa and Supaul districts were forced to abandon their homes as dozens of villages were flooded after heavy discharge into the Kosi river from Nepal, officials said Thursday.
“The floodwater has already entered dozens of villages in two districts following incessant rains in catchment areas (in Nepal) and heavy discharge into the Kosi (by Nepal),” the official said.
The floodwater is posing a threat to the river’s embankments and endangering thousands of villagers who are spending sleepless nights due to fear.
An official of the water resources development department said that more than 100,000 cusecs water was discharged into the Kosi river from Nepal in the last 24 hours. Two days ago also, a heavy discharge resulted in raising the river’s water level.
According to an official of the state disaster management department here, hundreds of people have taken shelter on the high rise embankments, national highways and in government buildings in view of the Kosi’s rising water level since Monday.
However, Saharsa district magistrate Misbah Bari told IANS over telephone that there was no need to panic. “The situation is under control and district officials are keeping close vigil on the embankments,” he said.
Bihar Water Resources Development Minister Vijay Kumar Choudhary said all embankments were safe and there was no need to panic.
The state government has asked engineers and district officials to keep a 24-hour vigil.
Choudhary said the eastern Kosi embankment, which had breached in 2008, flooding five districts of northern Bihar, was safe.
In 2008, over three million people were rendered homeless in Bihar when the Kosi river breached its bank upstream in Nepal and changed course. It was said to be the worst flood in the state in the last 50 years.
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- Fear of floods haunts Bihar - Jul 13, 2010
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Disaster control teams deployed in flood-hit Bihar - Aug 19, 2011
- Bihar fears repeat of devastating floods - Jul 01, 2009
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- People flee homes as floodwater enters Bihar villages - Jul 14, 2010
- Flood fears return to haunt Bihar - Jul 28, 2009
Tags: catchment areas, development minister, disaster management, district magistrate, district officials, embankments, floodwater, government buildings, incessant rains, kosi river, management department, misbah, national highways, northern bihar, rising water, sleepless nights, state disaster, vijay kumar, water level, water resources development