Rhino killed in Assam parkAugust 24th, 2012 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Aug 24 (IANS) A one-horned rhino died in the Kaziranga National Park in Assam’s Golaghat district when a forest guard fired at it in self defence, an official said Friday.
The incident took place in the Bagori range Thursday night. The dead rhino was a male adult.
“The rhino charged at a group of forest guards who opened blank fire to stop it. The bullet hit the rhino and it died on the spot,” Principal Chief Conservator of Forest Suresh Chand told IANS.
“It is a very unfortunate incident,” he said.
About 15 days back a forest guard was severely injured in the park after being attacked by a charging rhino. The guard is still being treated at the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital.
On Aug 20, poachers killed a rhino in the park and took away its horn.
The park, spread over 860 sq km, is a Unesco world heritage site. Heavy floods in June this year killed close to 700 animals including rhinos and elephants.
- Rhino poached in Kaziranga National Park - Apr 12, 2012
- One-horned rhino killed in Assam - May 23, 2012
- Alert officials foil rhino poaching in Assam - Jan 23, 2012
- Experts urged to reduce animal deaths in floods - Jul 07, 2012
- Assam wildlife group protests removal of rhino's horn - Mar 25, 2012
- Two orphaned rhinos from Kaziranga to be released in Manas - Mar 10, 2012
- Assam's one-horned rhino population rises by 250 - Apr 09, 2012
- Assam floods: Park rangers work non-stop to safeguard wildlife - Jun 29, 2012
- Two poachers shot dead in Kaziranga - Dec 13, 2010
- Two poachers killed in Kaziranga, rhino found dead (Lead) - Dec 13, 2010
Tags: anup, assam, chief conservator, elephants, floods, forest guard, forest guards, guwahati, kaziranga national park, male adult, medical college, poachers, rhino, rhinos, self defence, suresh chand, thursday night, unesco, unesco world heritage, unfortunate incident