Rescue work on in flood-hit Mansa in PunjabJuly 14th, 2010 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 14 (IANS) Rescue work was on in Punjab’s Mansa district Wednesday where several acres of agricultural land were inundated and many villages submerged as water overflowed from the Ghaggar river.
“The flood situation is grim in Sardulgarh area. Nearly 25 villages are flooded and most of the residents have been shifted to safe locations. We are working all day and night to control the situation and to prevent further flooding of other low-lying areas,” Mansa Deputy Commissioner Kumar Rahul told IANS.
Besides civic officials, army and paramilitary troopers were also helping in the relief operations.
“Around 200 houses and standing crops on nearly 5,000 acres have been damaged in the floods. We have made all arrangements to provide packed food and water to the flood victims. So far there has been no loss of life due to floods in Mansa,” he said.
According to official figures, crops on 271,784 acres have been damaged in districts of Patiala, Sangrur, Mohali, Ludhiana, Fatehgarh Sahib, Moga and Mansa.
In the neighbouring state of Haryana, flood situation was grim in Sirsa district.
“Army officials are working to plug the breaches in Ghaggar river that led to flooding in Sirsa. Over 10,000 acres of agricultural land submerged in three to four feet water and nearly one dozen villages are affected due to this. We hope that situation will be under control by this evening,” said a senior official of the Sirsa administration here.
Ambala, Kurukshetra, Kaithal, Sirsa and Fatehabad districts were badly affected by floods over the last few days.
As many as 33 people have lost their lives in floods in Punjab and Haryana.
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 15, 2010
- Flood situation grim in Punjab district (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Flood situation improves in Haryana's Sirsa, grim in Mansa in Punjab (Roundup) - Jul 15, 2010
- Flood toll in Punjab, Haryana reaches 51 - Jul 18, 2010
- Rescue work on in Punjab, Haryana to plug breaches - Jul 12, 2010
- Flood toll in Punjab and Haryana reaches 40 (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- Sirsa inundated, rescue work on in Haryana, Punjab (Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Several villages cut off in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 13, 2010
- Dozen villages inundated in Haryana floods - Jul 13, 2010
- Flood situation grim in Punjab's Mansa district - Jul 16, 2010
- Central team to assess flood losses in Haryana: Hooda (Lead) - Jul 13, 2010
- Haryana CM visits flood-hit districts, irrigation minister blames Punjab for floods - Jul 13, 2010
- Fresh breaches in Ghaggar submerge more Punjab villages (Lead) - Jul 11, 2010
- 11 dead with no let up in Haryana, Punjab floods (Roundup) - Jul 08, 2010
- Flood extensively damages crops in Haryana, Punjab - Jul 09, 2010
Tags: agricultural land, army officials, breaches, civic officials, deputy commissioner, few days, flood situation, flood victims, floods, four feet, ghaggar river, july 14, mansa district, moga, mohali, neighbouring state, punjab chandigarh, rahul, relief operations, standing crops