Report on changes in water issues launchedMarch 17th, 2011 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 16 (IANS) A report focusing on changes in water issues in the country like declining water availability and unsustainable and inequitable use of water was launched Wednesday by Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh here Wednesday.
The report - Life, Livelihoods, Ecosystems, Culture-Entitlement and Allocations of Water for Competing Uses - has been put together by Forum for Policy Dialogue on Water Conflicts in India, a platform of organisations and individuals who have made contributions to the water sector discourse in the country in terms of policy, research and practice.
“It talks about the changes that have taken place in the water sector in the last four to five years which include institutional changes like setting up of regulatory authorities, introduction of water entitlements and tradable rights, pricing of water and a clamour for large scale infrastructure projects,” an official said.
Jairam Ramesh said: “Whenever there is a mention of water conflict, the first thing that comes to our mind is inter-state water-sharing conflicts. But it is not just the conflict between states anymore, but intra-state conflicts as well.”
- Ramesh for low-cost sanitation solutions - May 30, 2012
- India urged to expand border trade with China - Jul 27, 2012
- No GM crop trials without states' consent: Jairam Ramesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Resolve Cauvery water sharing dispute, says SC to PMO - Sep 03, 2012
- Government has 'complete trust' in IIT, IIM faculty: Sibal - May 26, 2011
- Gujarat coral reefs a virtual gold mine - Mar 27, 2011
- Bangalore adds plush Mercedez buses to city fleet - Aug 28, 2010
- 18 cheetahs to be brought to India - Jul 29, 2010
- Impression of Project Tiger to save magnificent animal is a challenge: Ramesh - Aug 06, 2010
- Ramesh rejects Pawar's suggestion on rural jobs - Feb 22, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to come out with vision document - Jul 05, 2011
- India,Brazil take lead in move to 'green' economic future - Oct 21, 2010
- Conclave to woo investors to north India - Aug 08, 2012
- Resolve Cauvery water dispute, SC tells PMO (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Himalayan region ignored on state-formulated ecological policies: Ramesh - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: allocations, clamour, conflicts in india, discourse, forests, infrastructure projects, institutional changes, inter state, intra state, introduction of water, jairam ramesh, New Delhi, policy dialogue, regulatory authorities, state water, water availability, water conflict, water conflicts, water issues, water sector