Remove debris from Hindon river bed: TribunalJuly 29th, 2012 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Ghaziabad, July 29 (IANS) The National Green Tribunal has directed the Ghaziabad Development Authority (GDA) and the irrigation department of Uttar Pradesh to clear the debris dumped on Hindon river bed for the construction of a bridge.
The principal bench of the tribunal July 26 ordered the removal of the debris on the complaint of environmentalist Vikrant Sharma.
Sharma filed a petition before the Supreme Court seeking direction to the GDA to stop bridge construction work on the river bed, alleging an ecological threat.
He alleged that the construction of an artificial embankment for the bridge was causing environmental damage by adversely affecting the normal flow of the river water.
The apex court referred the case of the proposed third bridge over the Hindon river to the tribunal.
The GDA and the irrigation department July 26 assured the tribunal to remove all the debris. They were told to submit an affidavit after complying with the order.
The tribunal would next hear the case Aug 28.
- Don't dump debris on Hindon river bed: Tribunal - Apr 22, 2012
- Greens fume over bridge across river Hindon - May 24, 2011
- Green tribunal to hear plea against new Hindon river bridge - Jan 23, 2012
- Save the Hindon river, say activists (With image) - Jun 03, 2011
- Bridge on Hindon river a disaster, say activists - Jun 01, 2011
- Illegal constructions in Ghaziabad sealed, case against builder - May 21, 2012
- Two killed in building collapse (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Plans unveiled for hassle-free travel to Ghaziabad - Mar 30, 2012
- GDA suspends three officials for corruption - May 19, 2012
- Ghaziabad civic agency accused of illegal land sale - Jan 05, 2012
- SC slams poor facilities for green tribunal - Sep 19, 2012
- Court notice on JNNURM-funded Shimla tunnel - Jul 25, 2012
- Land reclaimed after mosque demolition, DDA tells court (Lead) - Jan 14, 2011
- Denied use of dam water, farmers approach court - Apr 22, 2010
- Court questions MCD on Yamuna bank enclosures - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: affidavit, apex, apex court, bench, bridge construction work, debris, ecological threat, embankment, environmental damage, environmentalist, ghaziabad development authority, ghaziabad development authority gda, irrigation department, normal flow, petition, river water, supreme court, third bridge, tribunal