Rarest of mangoes, only four Noor Jahan trees leftJune 19th, 2008 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, June 19 (IANS) Noor Jahan is a rare variety of mango which is found only in Alirajpur district of Madhya Pradesh, and only four trees are surviving. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has now asked the state administration to take all steps to preserve the rare variety. Chouhan issued the instruction at his residence Wednesday after receiving Noor Jahan mangoes from Forest Minister Kunwar Vijay Shah.
The chief minister was told that only four trees, one big and three small, of this unique variety are surviving at Katthiwara.
A Noor Jahan mango is as big as a medium size papaya and the weighs one kg to three kg. This mango variety secured a special prize at the National Mango Exhibition at Indore in 1999.
Hundreds of years ago, the Katthiwara royal family had grown this variety of mango on its private land.
The surviving four trees of this variety also stand on the private land belonging to the royal family’s descendant Vikram Singh.
“If need be, I will write a letter in this connection to Katthiwara royal family of Alirajpur, on whose land the trees of this variety of mango are found,” Chouhan said.
“Farmers willing to plant them on their land through bud stick grafting system would also be provided full assistance,” he said.
- Mango madness: Bhopal fetes king of fruit - Jun 30, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh's Alirajpur district has lowest literacy rate - Apr 01, 2011
- Mango Festival begins in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Mango madness: Over 600 varieties at Delhi fest - Jul 08, 2012
- Shivraj Chouhan flip-flop on railway budget - Mar 14, 2012
- Royal treat for mango lovers at Delhi fest - Jul 02, 2011
- Infosys, TCS to generate 20,000 jobs in Madhya Pradesh - Dec 28, 2011
- Chandigarh's mango growers in a pickle - Jan 22, 2012
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- CBI to probe killing of Madhya Pradesh cop, Congress calls bandh (Second Lead) - Mar 13, 2012
- From peons to clerks, raids unveil Madhya Pradesh's millionaires - Jan 20, 2012
- Eight dead in Indore explosives factory blast - Oct 06, 2011
- 21 dead, 41 rescued in Madhya Pradesh bus accident (Lead) - Sep 09, 2010
- Coolers, sprinklers, glucose to help Delhi Zoo beat heat - May 05, 2011
- Proposed road endangers Uttar Pradesh mango belt - Sep 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,