Ramesh favours competitive bidding for mining projectsJanuary 18th, 2011 - 9:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 18 (IANS) Facing criticism for holding up several mining projects, Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh Tuesday favoured a competitive bidding process and environmental pre-approval before the mining projects are awarded.The proposal came up before the minister during a meeting with the Confederation of Indian Industries (CII) Tuesday.
“We must follow the competitive bidding process followed in oil and gas structure. In projects related to ore mining, environmental pre-approval should be sought by the state before the bidding is awarded to any company,” Ramesh told reporters after the meeting.
The minister said a similar kind of approach is being followed in the Ultra Mega Power Project (UMPP) coming up in Orissa.
“It will be better that when the project is awarded to a company there will be no issue related to environmental clearance,” he said.
Ramesh has been holding meetings with the industry to allay fears that environment is acting as a hindrance to growth. He will be meeting the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Jan 24.
He also announced a joint advisory council having members from the ministry and industry which will meet once a month to know the views of the industry.
“Industry must act as a whistleblower and should bring to notice cases where they have been pressurised from the ministry to settle the matter,” Ramesh said.
Several iron and bauxite mining projects have been held up in various states by the environment ministry on grounds of violation of environment norms.
- India junks Vedanta's mining bid on environment concerns - Aug 24, 2010
- Jairam not to block BALCO's Chhattisgarh project - Nov 24, 2010
- Speedy decisions on Posco, Vedanta: Jayanthi Natarajan - Jul 17, 2011
- Supreme Court asks for fresh petition on Orissa mining issue - Apr 01, 2011
- Vedanta taps Gujarat for bauxite for Orissa refinery - Sep 02, 2010
- Jairam Ramesh: politics of compromise or middle path? - May 12, 2011
- Supreme Court notice to government on Orissa project - Apr 21, 2011
- Green policy should not slow growth: Economic Survey (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Environment ministry to give decision on Vedanta mining project - Aug 24, 2010
- Orissa moves SC against denial of green nod to Vedanta mining project - Apr 01, 2011
- Apex court questions environment ministry on Niyamgiri (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Patnaik meets PM, seeks clearance to Posco, Vedanta - Aug 23, 2010
- Demolition of Adarsh housing society an option: Jairam Ramesh - Nov 02, 2010
- Vedanta: Apex court moved against denial of forest clearance - Mar 10, 2011
- Posco, industry welcome conditional nod to Orissa project - Jan 31, 2011
Tags: advisory council, bauxite mining, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, cii, competitive bidding process, confederation of indian industries, environment minister, environmental clearance, ficci, hindrance, indian chambers of commerce, jairam ramesh, jan 24, mega power, norms, oil and gas, orissa, pre approval, whistleblower