Rainy weekend in store for Delhi (Lead)September 17th, 2012 - 11:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) Heavy showers lashed Delhi Friday bringing down the temperatures and providing relief to residents after a sultry week. The met office has forecast the pleasant weather and rains to continue over the weekend.
The city received 9.2 mm of rainfall from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Friday.
Fridays’ maximum temperature was a notch below average at 32.6 degrees while the minimum was two notches above average at 27.3 degrees Celsius. The maximum and minimum humidity were 89 and 78 percent respectively.
“The skies will be cloudy over the weekend and the rains will continue to lash the city,” said an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
Saturday’s maximum temperature would be 33 degrees and the minimum will be 26 degrees Celsius, added the official.
The heavy showers Friday proved too enticing for many Delhi residents who came out of their homes or left office early to relish the rains.
Several of them visited popular spots like India Gate or Connaught Place for an evening stroll while savouring their favourite ice-cream or a bhutta (roasted corn), completely drenched.
“After a dry July and August, the rains gods are finally smiling on us in September… I hope the weather remains the same over the weekend,” said Sudipta Singh, a Delhi University student.
A total of 507.3 mm of rain has been recorded in Delhi since the outbreak of monsoon in June-end. The rain deficit so far is 16 percent with the monsoon expected to last in the city till Sep 20.
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains likely - Sep 17, 2012
- Humid Saturday for Delhi, rains likely Sunday (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Pleasant Monday in Delhi with some rain, more expected Tuesday (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, more likely Saturday (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Humid Thursday morning for Delhi, showers expected - Sep 13, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, heavy showers likely - Jul 13, 2012
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Cloudy, warm day in Delhi, no rains expected Friday (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: connaught place, delhi residents, delhi university, evening stroll, fridays, hellip, humidity, india gate, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, maximum temperature, monsoon, New Delhi, notch, notches, outbreak, rainfall, rainy weekend, roasted corn, showers