Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead)July 31st, 2012 - 8:54 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) It was a pleasant and wet day for Delhi Tuesday as the city was lashed by rains since early morning while parts of the city continued to receive light drizzle till the afternoon. The met office has forecast more rains Wednesday.
“The skies will be cloudy and the city will get rains,” said an India Meteorological Department official adding that the maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to hover around 30 and 25 degrees Celsius, respectively.
The city received a total of 15 mm of rainfall from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Tuesday as the maximum temperature plummeted six notches below average to 27.9 degrees Celsius. The minimum temperature was a notch below average at 25.4 degrees.
The day’s maximum and minimum humidity were recorded at 95 and 80 percent, respectively.
The downpour led to waterlogging and fallen trees in some parts of the city, slowing down traffic and causing jams.
According to the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), incidents of waterlogging and fallen trees were reported from Lawrence Road, and Azadpur in north Delhi, Narela and Wazirabad in west Delhi, Pahar Ganj in central Delhi and Saket, Lajpat Nagar, and Defence Colony in south Delhi.
Traffic was severely affected too owing to the rains as well as signals ceasing to function following a failure in the Northern Grid.
Jams were reported from central Delhi business hub Connaught Place, as well as Rajghat, Mayur Vihar, Laxmi Nagar in east Delhi, and Moti Nagar, Rajendra Nagar, Pitampura in west Delhi.
Major arterial roads connecting Delhi to its satellite towns of Gurgaon and Noida were some of the many badly hit spots.
- Pleasant day in Delhi, more rains Thursday (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Muggy day in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Rains at last in Delhi, more expected Saturday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- Thundershowers cool Delhi, more expected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- More rains likely in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, more ahead Wednesday (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Heavy rains brings respite but halt traffic in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 11, 2010
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Wet, humid day in Delhi, more rains ahead (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, add to commuter woes - Jul 08, 2011
- More rains likely in Delhi - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: arterial roads, business hub, central delhi, connaught place, defence colony, east delhi, india meteorological department, lajpat nagar, light drizzle, mayur vihar, minimum temperatures, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, north delhi, northern grid, pahar ganj, pitampura, satellite towns, wazirabad, west delhi