Rains lash Delhi, more expected (Second Lead)September 19th, 2010 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) Sporadic yet heavy rains lashed Delhi Sunday, bringing down the maximum temperature 11 notches below average to 23.3 degrees Celsius. The met office has predicted more showers Monday.
“Skies will be cloudy with rains and thundershowers in some pockets of the city. One or two spells may be heavy in some areas,” an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The capital received 56.2 mm of rainfall Sunday which caused flooding in the low-lying areas of the city and waterlogging in many parts, including some major roads.
According to the Delhi Traffic Police, water accumulated on many roads, including Mathura Road, Ashram and Moolchand intersection, in Moti Bagh and Shanti Niketan in south Delhi, Mother Teresa Crescent in central Delhi, Kashmere Gate and the Mori Gate roundabout in north Delhi.
However, Sunday being a holiday there were no traffic snarls reported in the city, a traffic police official said.
However, the waterlogging caused by the rains resulted in smaller cars getting stuck in pools of water in some localities.
The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) reported 60 waterlogging complaints, 12 cases of fallen trees and two of buildings being damaged from Saturday morning to Sunday evening.
The humidity levels wavered between 100 percent and 76 percent.
The maximum and minimum temperatures Monday are expected to hover round 26 and 22 degrees.
The city has so far received 949.2 mm of rainfall this monsoon season, 62 percent above average.
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi - Aug 29, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi again, commuter woes continue - Sep 16, 2011
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Torrential downpour leaves Delhi in traffic snarls, chaos (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
- Wet morning, more rains in store for Delhi - Sep 20, 2010
- Rains lash capital, more showers expected (Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
- Heavy rains lash parts of Delhi, more expected Friday (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi, more to follow - Sep 12, 2010
Tags: bagh, central delhi, humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, kashmere gate, many roads, minimum temperatures, monsoon season, municipal corporation of delhi, municipal corporation of delhi mcd, north delhi, police official, pools of water, shanti niketan, south delhi, thundershowers, traffic police, traffic snarls, waterlogging