Rains kill 3 in Maharashtra, 300 families evacuatedAugust 12th, 2008 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 11 (IANS) At least three people were killed and hundreds of families were affected as heavy rains continued to lash Maharashtra and neighbouring Goa for the second day Monday, officials said. Two youths picnicking in the Aarey Milk Colony in northwest Mumbai drowned in a lake Sunday while an unidentified person was carried away in the flooding waters of Godavari at Trimbakeshwar, around 30 km from Nashik.
According to Mumbai Police, a group of workers from the Hansa Industrial Estate went for a picnic in the Aarey Colony when one Dinesh alias Ganesh Gopi Singh (21) went for a swim.
Suddenly, he screamed for help and a colleague, Ashok Kumar S. Morya (24) jumped into the water to help him. Both men drowned and the fire brigade fished out their bodies late Sunday night.
Meanwhile more than 300 families living along the banks of Mutha river in Pune have been shifted to safer places, according to a government official at the state headquarters - Mantralaya.
The Mutha river rose to dangerous level after the discharge of excess water from the nearby Khadakvasla dam, he said.
The regional meteorological department has forecast heavy to very heavy rains with winds up to 70 kmph speed over the next 48 hours.
The fishermen have been advised against venturing into the deep waters as the Arabian Sea will be very rough and stormy, the Met Office said.
- Ganpati Bappa Morya: B-Town wishes Happy Ganesh Chaturthi - Sep 01, 2011
- Four drown in Andhra river - Sep 08, 2011
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Lawyers drowned in Maharashtra - Jul 29, 2012
- 13 drown during Ganesh immersion in Maharashtra - Sep 04, 2009
- 4 students drown while on Valenmtine's Day picnic - Feb 14, 2011
- Three engineering students drown in Arabian Sea - Jun 10, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Two drown off Mumbai's Juhu beach - Aug 20, 2012
- Cyclonic storm Phet approaching Gujarat - Jun 01, 2010
- Torrential rains, floods hit life in Chhattisgarh - Aug 20, 2012
- Ganpati immersion ceremony ends in Maharashtra (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- South-West monsoon advances into Karnataka - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: arabian sea, ashok kumar, dangerous level, deep waters, excess water, fire brigade, godavari, gopi, government official, heavy rains, kmph, least three people, maharashtra, meteorological department, morya, nashik, pune, state headquarters, trimbakeshwar, unidentified person