Rains in Uttar Pradesh to be late by almost a weekJune 26th, 2012 - 12:29 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 26 (IANS) Met officials in Uttar Pradesh said Tuesday that the monsoon in most parts of the state is set to arrive late by almost a week.
Added to it, the rise in humidity is set to make matters worse for people of the state, already besieged by a scorching and extended summer.
With day temperatures swinging between 42-44 degrees Celsius and night temperatures around 28-30 degrees Celsius, long power outages in the capital and most parts of the state, the gruelling summer is sapping peoples’ energy. Added to this, the delayed monsoon has also sent the state government in a tizzy as late rains could hurt the paddy season in a big way.
Officials told IANS that usually rains in the month of June are considered ideal for sowing of paddy, something that has not yet happened, barring scant rainfall in some districts. With just 15.9 mm rainfall recorded in June, one-tenth down than the average rainfall of last year (169.5 mm), officials in the agriculture department fear that the record paddy produce of the previous year (13.96 thousand metric tonne) would be very difficult to match.
While officials say adequate seed and fertilizer distribution has been arranged this time well in advance, scarce rains could severely cripple the agriculture sector. The rains in the month of June, recorded so far, is also the lowest in the last one decade, met department records suggest. Officials are hoping that a brisk rainfall in the last week of June could salvage the situation however.
Eastern Uttar Pradesh is however likely to get some rains here and there, while other parts of the state will continue to be humid, hot and sans any rain. Thunder showers are however predicted in some parts of central Uttar Pradesh.
- Muggy Sunday morning in Delhi, rains likely - Jul 22, 2012
- Rains cool Delhi, more showers likely - Aug 17, 2011
- Rains bring respite for Delhi - Jun 15, 2011
- Pleasant Wednesday, rains likely Thursday (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Humid, cloudy Wednesday in Delhi; rains likely Thursday (Lead) - Sep 19, 2012
- 11 Odisha districts record deficit rain - Jul 31, 2012
- Monsoon finally arrives in Himachal (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- More rain in store in Delhi - Aug 30, 2012
- Pleasant Monday in Delhi with some rain, more expected Tuesday (Lead) - Sep 17, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Light showers in Uttar Pradesh turn weather pleasant - May 31, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Chandigarh, surrounding areas - Jun 18, 2011
- Rain in Delhi, more likely - Sep 04, 2012
- Pleasant Thursday in Delhi, showers expected Friday (Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Summer rains bring relief to northern India (Roundup) - May 22, 2011
Tags: agriculture department, agriculture sector, average rainfall, decade, degrees celsius, fear, fertilizer distribution, humidity, metric tonne, monsoon, month of june, night temperatures, peoples energy, power outages, previous year, rain, salvage, showers, state government, tizzy