Rains hit hard Delhi, roads flooded (Lead)August 21st, 2010 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 21 (IANS) Life was hit hard in the Indian capital Saturday as heavy rains lashing since early Saturday flooded several roads, causing umpteen traffic jams, residents and motorists said.
Road traffic was the worst affected due to the rains, which the weatherman said would continue during the day.
The Delhi Traffic Police reported numerous jams all over the city after choked drains — blamed partly on Commonwealth Games construction work — flooded roads.
At many traffic junctions, harried traffic policemen drenched in rain guided motorists struggling to wade through slushy water.
It was the third consecutive day of monsoon rains in Delhi, where the Yamuna is flowing almost above the danger mark, posing danger to low-lying localities.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD) said the city got 31.7 mm of rainfall from Friday morning till 8.30 a.m. Saturday.
The capital has received a total 617 mm of rainfall this monsoon.
- Rains continue to lash Delhi, more to come (Second Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
- Rains hit Delhi hard, roads flooded (Lead) - Sep 12, 2010
- Torrential rains cripple Delhi -- for hours - Sep 09, 2011
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Torrential downpour swamps Delhi, chaos on roads (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Torrential downpour swamps Delhi, chaos on roads (Third Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers forecast - Aug 01, 2010
- Rains continue to lash Delhi - Aug 21, 2010
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Sep 19, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi, commuters face difficulties again (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Rains cool Delhi, Yamuna flows above danger mark (Lead) - Aug 22, 2010
- Another rainy day in Delhi, more showers likely - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: commonwealth games, construction work, danger mark, drains, friday morning, heavy rains, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, localities, monsoon rains, motorists, New Delhi, rain, rainfall, road traffic, traffic jams, traffic police, traffic policemen, weatherman, yamuna