Rains flood Delhi again, traffic takes a hit (Lead)September 22nd, 2010 - 2:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 22 (IANS) The low-lying areas in Delhi were flooded yet again Wednesday as rains continued to drench the national capital for the fourth consecutive day, leading to slowing down of traffic and snarls in the city.
Delhi received 30 mm of rainfall between Tuesday night and 8.30 a.m. Wednesday.
The showers caused waterlogging across the city, bringing the traffic to a crawl with jams reported from various places.
According to the Delhi Traffic Police, Indraprastha Marg to Ring Road, Hanuman Setu and Ashok Nagar flyover in east Delhi, Ashok Vihar in north Delhi, Moti Nagar, Tagore Garden, Mayapuri Chowk and Rohtak Road in west Delhi were the worst affected.
Adding to the woes, the weather office said more rains were expected later during the day. “One or two spells may be heavy in some areas,” said an official of the India Meteorological Department.
The minimum temperature was recorded at 24.6 degrees Celsius, a notch above the average for this time of the season. The maximum is expected to hover around 30 degrees Celsius.
The maximum and minimum humidity levels oscillated between 98 and 87 percent, said the official.
The total rainfall recorded this season is 1,004.2 mm, which is around 62 percent above the average.
- Light showers in Delhi, more rains expected - Sep 22, 2010
- Showers, hail storm hit Delhi (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, cause traffic snarls - Sep 15, 2011
- Pre-monsoon rains in Delhi bring respite, traffic snarls - Jul 07, 2012
- Season's heaviest shower halts Delhi, more rain likely (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- Muggy Wednesday, no rain likely till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Rains lash Delhi Tuesday, more expected Wednesday (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Delhi, more to come - Sep 13, 2010
- Muggy day in Delhi, rains expected Thursday (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Wet day in Delhi, more rains in store Friday (Second Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- Rains at last in Delhi, more expected Saturday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Steamy Monday in Delhi as rains stay away again (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: ashok nagar, chowk, city delhi, east delhi, flyover, humidity levels, india meteorological department, mayapuri, minimum temperature, moti, north delhi, rainfall, setu, snarls, tagore, time of the season, traffic police, weather office, west delhi, woes