Rains bring relief from heat in capital (Second Lead)May 10th, 2009 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) A western disturbance in Jammu and Kashmir and a cyclonic circulation over Rajasthan brought unexpected relief from heat for Delhiities as brief thundershowers in the capital Sunday brought the temperature down by few notches, Met office said here.
“Sudden, but brief, thunderstorm hit the capital, and a hailstorm was also reported in some parts. The change in weather was triggered by the western disturbance in Jammu and Kashmir and cyclonic circulation over Rajasthan,” an official of the Indian Meteorological Department told IANS.
The thundershowers occurred at 3.32 p.m. and 11.2 mm rain was recorded.
“The minimum temperature on Sunday was 20.6 degree Celsius, four notches below the normal. The maximum temperature was 40.2 degrees Celsius,” the official said.
“During the next 24 hours, sky will remain partly clouded with a possibility of more thunderstorms and rain,” the official added.
The brief hailstorm brought traffic to halt at many places.
“I got stuck in the hailstorm at Ring Road. As the result of hail and wind, branches of the tree snapped and blocked the main roads. Traffic jams were also caused as two-wheeler riders stopped due to hail,” said Rohit Sharma, a commuter.
A few people decided to avoid the duststorm by not stepping out.
“Going by the pleasant weather this morning, my husband and I decided to go to Nehru Park in the evening, but there were loud thundershowers so we had to decide against it,” said Neera Gupta, a homemaker.
- Wet morning in Delhi, hailstorm likely - Mar 03, 2011
- Freak summer worries Kashmir farmers, fruit growers - Jun 09, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, thundershowers ahead - Mar 04, 2011
- Rain, thunderstorms lash Punjab, Haryana - May 30, 2011
- 42 killed in Uttar Pradesh storms, rains cool north India (Roundup) - May 21, 2011
- Cold Wave continues unabated across North India (Roundup) - Jan 09, 2012
- Sporadic rain in Delhi, Thursday to be clear (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Rain expected in Delhi Tuesday - Jun 15, 2010
- Dry spell raises temperatures in Himachal hills - Jul 18, 2012
- Wet weekend forecast for Delhi - Apr 15, 2011
- Coolest April in Delhi comes to end Monday (Second lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Monsoon showers bring relief to UP - Jul 07, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, thundershowers expected - Feb 24, 2011
- Muggy weather in Delhi, rains likely - Jun 16, 2010
- Rains in store in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: degree celsius, duststorm, gupta, hail, hailstorm, homemaker, indian meteorological department, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, main roads, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, neera, nehru park, notches, thundershowers, thunderstorm, thunderstorms, traffic jams, two wheeler