Rains block Jammu-Srinagar highway, many strandedAugust 22nd, 2012 - 4:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 22 (IANS) Incessant rains and landslides for two days have left many stranded on the Jammu-Srinagar highway, considered the lifeline of Jammu and Kashmir, officials said Wednesday.
Over 500 vehicles were stranded around Ramban area, 160 km from here, said a traffic police officer.
Many passengers were also stuck on the 300-km highway.
“We are trying to clear the landslides but shooting stones and continuing slides are impeding the clearing process,” a Border Roads Organisation (BRO) official said.
Besides the highway, many other mountainous roads in Jammu region are closed due to landslides - disrupting connectivity with major townships.
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 22, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway - Aug 04, 2012
- Rain continues in Jammu, many trapped - Aug 05, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Fresh snowfall blocks Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 15, 2012
- Snow, landslides keep Jammu-Srinagar highway closed (Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Jammu-Srinagar highway open to one-way traffic - Jan 10, 2012
- Snow shuts only road link to valley for fifth day (Second Lead) - Feb 10, 2010
- Snow cripples Srinagar-Jammu highway - Jan 13, 2012
- Traffic restored on Jammu-Srinagar highway - Dec 09, 2011
- Over 2,000 Kashmir-bound passengers stranded in Jammu - Jan 09, 2012
- Jammu-Srinagar highway opens for one-way traffic - Mar 05, 2011
- Eight die in Kashmir road accidents - Oct 23, 2011
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012