Rains at last in DelhiJuly 27th, 2012 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The skies finally opened up and it poured in the national capital Friday, bringing relief and joy after days of watching rain-laden clouds give Delhi the slip.
The heavy showers saw most people get out of their homes and offices or on to terraces to watch the rain drops fall pitter-patter and feel the rain on their faces.
“I think our wait for the rains has come to an end and this is the real monsoon,” said Rohit Raghav, watching the rain from his office in south Delhi.
With grim predictions made due to a deficit monsoon so far this year, an official of India Meteorological Department (IMD) said Friday’s rains were “indeed a positive sign for Delhi as the rain deficit is over 60 percent which is too much. The south part of the capital has seen good amount of rain”.
The dark clouds did not vanish like they were doing for the past many days and finally opened up with heavy rain late Friday afternoon.
The bird population also seemed to be enjoying the showers, and sat quietly soaking up the rain.
Though traffic was slow, especially on flyovers due to cars slowing down with the rain water collecting at the base, no one was complaining.
“I hope the rains come good and we make up for the lost rain in all these days,” said 25-year-old Mridula who lives in east Delhi’s Mayur Vihar.
The national capital has seen a rain-deficit of 64 percent this season.
- Rains at last in Delhi, more expected Saturday (Lead) - Jul 27, 2012
- More rain in Delhi spells chaos on city roads (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Aamir praises 'Malegaon Ka Superman' (Movie Snippets) - Jun 30, 2012
- Heavy downpour in Delhi, traffic hit (Second Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
- More rain, more chaos in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Heavy rains in Delhi, traffic woes again - Jul 31, 2010
- Season's heaviest rain halts Delhi - Aug 21, 2012
- Sudden spell of rain lifts mood in Delhi - Mar 27, 2009
- Rains lash Delhi, more likely Saturday (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Mercury slips after heavy rains, more rains expected (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Monsoon plays truant, government's fingers crossed - Jul 13, 2012
- Rain lashes Delhi, provides relief from sultry weather (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Rains bring respite, problems for Delhi residents (Second Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Mel B keen to have more kids - Jan 04, 2011
- Mel B wants to have more kids - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: bird population, dark clouds, east delhi, faces, friday afternoon, grim predictions, heavy rain, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, mayur vihar, monsoon, mridula, New Delhi, patter, rain water, showers, south delhi, terraces, watching rain, watching the rain