Rains at last in Delhi, more expected Saturday (Lead)July 27th, 2012 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 27 (IANS) The skies opened up and it rained finally in the capital Friday, bringing relief to a parched city after days of watching the dark clouds play truant. The weatherman has predicted more rains Saturday.
The city received a total of 12 mm of rainfall from 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Friday.
The welcome rains saw most people get out of their homes and offices or on to terraces to watch the rain drops fall pitter-patter and feel the rain on their faces.
“I think our wait for the rains has come to an end and this is the real monsoon,” said Rohit Raghav, watching the rain from his office in south Delhi.
Though traffic was slow, especially on flyovers due to cars slowing down with the rain water collecting at the base, no one was complaining.
According to the Delhi Police, slow traffic and waterlogging led to jams in some parts of the city. The worst affected were August Kranti Marg, Arjun Nagar, Nehru Place, Andrews Ganj, Siri Fort auditorium in south Delhi, Mori Gate and Chirag Dilli in central Delhi and Tis Hazari in north Delhi.
The day’s maximum temperature was 35.3 degrees, a notch above average, while the minimum was 28.7 degrees, two notches above average.
The humidity levels wavered between a high of 87 and a low of 62 percent.
According to the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the capital will get rains again Saturday.
“The skies will be cloudy and one or two spells of rains will hit the city,” said the IMD official, adding that the maximum and minimum temperature will hover around 34 and 26 degrees Celsius, respectively.
The national capital has seen a rain-deficit of 64 percent this season.
Thursday’s maximum and minimum temperatures both settled a notch above the average at 33.2 and 27.7 degrees Celsius, respectively.
- Cloudy day in Delhi, light showers expected - Jul 28, 2012
- Cloudy Saturday in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 28, 2012
- Rainy Saturday for Delhi, more showers likely (Lead) - Aug 11, 2012
- Rains at last in Delhi - Jul 27, 2012
- Traffic snarls in Delhi after morning rain (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Rains in Delhi bring down mercury, cause traffic snarls (Second Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Light rains in Delhi, more expected Monday (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Cloudy morning in Delhi, rains in store - Apr 26, 2012
- Sunny Sunday morning in Delhi, wet evening likely - Sep 02, 2012
- Windy morning in Delhi, rains expected - Aug 13, 2012
- Pleasant day in Delhi, more rains Thursday (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Breezy morning for Delhi, showers expected - Sep 06, 2012
- Hot morning in Delhi, rain likely - Jun 22, 2012
- Hot Wednesday in Delhi, mercury to rise further (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Light rains in Delhi (Lead) - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: arjun, central delhi, chirag, dark clouds, delhi police, dilli, ganj, humidity levels, india meteorological department, kranti, minimum temperatures, nehru place, north delhi, rain water, siri fort auditorium, slow traffic, south delhi, tis hazari, watching the rain, welcome rains