Rain in Delhi turns weather pleasantJune 5th, 2012 - 6:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 5 (IANS) The national capital saw light rain and winds Tuesday afternoon bring some respite to people reeling under the blistering heat for the past one week.
With the rain, the weather, which was dry and hot till Monday, turned pleasant.
The Met office attributed the shower to the moisture in the atmosphere.
“There was a lot of moisture in the air for the past couple of days which led to light rain in the capital,” said an Indian Meteorological Department official.
“It is a welcome change as it was really very hot for a long time. I hope this weather continues,” Gargi Singh, 27, of Mayur Vihar said.
“The weather has become pleasant but it can become humid too. It must rain continuously so that humidity does prevail in the air,” said Aasheesh Bhatanagar, a resident of Trilokpuri.
After the showers, storm water drains began overflowing in some areas of the capital, including Vasant Kunj in south Delhi.
Some trees were uprooted and hindered smooth flow of traffic.
“We have not received any complaints till now. We will attend to them if there are any,” said a civic body spokesperson.
- Heavy showers lash capital, traffic affected (Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- Rain, storm lashes Delhi ahead of monsoon's formal arrival (Second Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Light rain makes Delhi weather pleasant (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Sultry Saturday in Delhi, rains likely Sunday (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Rain likely in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Pre-monsoon showers hit Delhi - Jun 26, 2011
- Delhi continues to swelter, monsoon likely after July 3 (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Light showers in Delhi Saturday (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- Summer rains bring relief to northern India (Roundup) - May 22, 2011
- Thursday may be cloudy in Delhi (Lead) - May 11, 2011
- Pleasant Wednesday, rains likely Thursday (Lead) - Aug 22, 2012
- Showers lash Delhi, good weather to continue (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Light rain for Delhi Sunday, heavy showers likely Monday (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Hot, humid morning in Delhi - Aug 07, 2010
Tags: blistering heat, civic body, couple of days, gargi, humidity, indian meteorological department, light rain, long time, moisture in the atmosphere, New Delhi, respite, showers, smooth flow, south delhi, spokesperson, storm water drains, traffic, trees, tuesday afternoon, weather