Rain eludes Delhi Sunday, 43 percent deficit so far (Lead)July 15th, 2012 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 15 (IANS) Delhi had the sun playing hide and seek Sunday but no rain fell and the the maximum temperature rose three notches above average to 37 degrees Celsius. The weatherman has held out hope of some rain Monday.
According to the Met department, the capital so far has a rainfall deficit of 43 percent.
“This season has seen a 43 percent deficit in rainfall in the capital. Countrywide, there’s a 23 percent deficit but we expect that the rains will pick up in a few days,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official told IANS.
According to IMD, the normal rainfall expected till July 15 is 153.8 mm while this year, the capital has received only 87.6 mm rainfall so far. Some deficit could be attributed to the delayed onset of monsoon which arrived a week later than expected this year.
Sunday’s humidity readings showed a maximum of 82 percent and minimum of 48 percent while the minimum temperature rose a notch above average to settle at 28 degrees Celsius.
The capital saw a meagre 0.1 mm rainfall till 8.30 a.m. and none till 5.30 p.m.
“Monday should see partly cloudy skies and we expect light rainfall or thundershowers in some parts of Delhi. The day’s maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be 37 and 27 degrees Celsius respectively,” the official added.
Saturday’s maximum and minimum temperatures both settled a notch below average at 33 degrees and 25.7 degrees Celsius respectively.
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, clear day ahead - Apr 25, 2012
- Muggy morning in Delhi, rains expected - Jul 23, 2012
- Muggy Sunday morning in Delhi, rains likely - Jul 22, 2012
- Muggy morning in Delhi - Jul 20, 2012
- Cloudy, hot Tuesday in Delhi, rains in store (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Humid, cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Thursday (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Sultry morning in Delhi, rain likely - Sep 09, 2012
- Steamy Monday in Delhi as rains stay away again (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Delhi cool after drizzle, Tuesday to be hotter (Lead) - Jun 18, 2012
- Muggy morning in Delhi, light rains likely - Jul 24, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, light showers expected - Jul 28, 2012
- Thundershowers lash Delhi, more rain predicted (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Rains again elude Delhi Sunday, likely Monday (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Sunny Tuesday morning in Delhi - May 15, 2012
- Cloudy, dusty morning in Delhi - May 17, 2012
Tags: cloudy skies, few days, humidity, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, light rainfall, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, monsoon, New Delhi, notch, rain, rainfall deficit, sun, three notches, thundershowers, weatherman