Radiation from Japan detected in US cityMarch 29th, 2011 - 12:17 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, March 29 (IANS) Tiny amounts of an isotope, Iodine 131, from Japan have been detected in rainwater samples collected from the roof of a campus building in Cleveland, US.
Gerald Matisoff, professor of geology at the Case Western Reserve University, who has detected the presence of the isotope, said it presents no danger to human health.
He estimated that the level of radiation is about one-tenth that of natural background radiation. “In theory, the Iodine 131 could have come from any radioactive waste processing facility,” Matisoff said, according to a Case Western statement.
“But, we know it’s from Japan. The isotope is being seen worldwide,” he said.
Matisoff and graduate student Mary Carson collect water on the roof of the A.W. Smith Building, on the Case Western campus, to monitor the particulates being carried in rain into Lake Erie.
Carson ran the analysis Friday and Matisoff verified the findings.
- Traces of Japanese radiation detected in Cleveland - Mar 29, 2011
- Radiation from Japan nuclear disaster reaches Canada - Mar 29, 2011
- Japan's nuke plant radiation traces detected in US - Mar 29, 2011
- Radiation from Japan n-plant reaches Britain - Mar 29, 2011
- High radioactivity detected in seawater near Japan's tsunami hit nuke plant - Mar 22, 2011
- China detects 'extremely low level radiation' from Japan - Mar 29, 2011
- Radioactive materials' level found 1,250 times higher than legal limit in sea near Fukushima plant - Mar 26, 2011
- China to check its food, water for radiation - Mar 29, 2011
- Blast rocks Japanese nuclear power plant, reactor container not damaged - Mar 12, 2011
- Low levels of radioactive particles detected in Europe, source unknown - Nov 11, 2011
- Radioactive iodine 3,355 times legal limit found in sea water near Fukushima nuke plant - Mar 30, 2011
- Complications arise in radioactive water removal at Japan's Fukushima nuke plant - Mar 31, 2011
- Radiation rises to 1,000 times above normal level near Fukushima plant - May 04, 2011
- Radioactive iodine detected in Tokyo tap water - Mar 19, 2011
- Nuclear radiation from Japanese power plant reaches Pakistan: PAEC - Apr 09, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,