Queen under fire for wearing fur hatDecember 27th, 2010 - 8:20 pm ICT by IANS
London, Dec 27 (IANS) British Queen Elizabeth II and the Duchess of Cornwall have drawn flak from animal rights campaigners after they wore fur hats on Christmas Day, a media report said Monday.Experts claimed that the Russian-style hats they donned to attend a church service in Sandringham, England with other members of the royal family were made of fur from different types of fox, the Daily Mail reported.
Andrew Tyler, director of Animal Aid, said: “This strikes me as an ostentatious display of cruelty. To parade fur in 2010 says something unpleasant about the person wearing it.”
The hat worn by Camilla was made of “vintage fur”, by designer milliner Philip Treacy, using a piece of fur which had previously belonged to the duchess’s mother.
A spokesman for the Queen said she could not confirm if her cream-coloured hat and matching coat trim were made of real fur, the report said.
Many fashion designers continue to use fur in their collections, and campaigners have expressed fears that it has come back into style. They have called on celebrities and members of the royal family to “set a good example” by choosing not to wear animal pelts.
The Queen has worn fur in the past and her official robes for State occasions are trimmed with ermine, the winter coat of the stoat.
Camilla faced anger from animal rights organisations last year, when she wore fur twice during an official visit to Canada.
First she wore a grey rabbit stole when she visited Newfoundland, together with a hat trimmed with fake fur. She then donned a calf-length cape lined with grey fox fur.
Both pieces were said to have been “refashioned” from vintage fur.
The ethical question of “recycling” vintage fur has split opinion, but Tyler said: “It doesn’t matter when the animal was killed, it’s a body part and a product of cruelty.”
In 2000 Prince Edward’s wife Sophie apologised after she was seen wearing a fox fur hat. The Countess of Wessex said her decision to wear the hat on a skiing holiday in St Moritz, Switzerland, was “an error of judgment”.
Legislation to ban fur farming in Britain was passed that same year following a lengthy campaign highlighting the physical and psychological distress suffered by animals in some fur farms.
However, it remains legal to import fur and in China, now the world’s leading fur exporter, millions of animals who are killed for their fur are often skinned alive, according to the campaign group People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
“Britain is a nation of animal lovers and more than 90 percent of Britons refuse to wear fur,” a PETA spokesman said.
“We hope that the queen will choose to wear something more humane in future, that better reflects the values of the British people,” the spokesman said.
- Royal family accused of cruelty for wearing real fur - Dec 28, 2010
- PETA condemns Kim Kardashian - Nov 17, 2010
- Taraji P Henson Does Naked PETA Anti-Fur Ad - Jan 28, 2011
- Will Pamela Anderson's sex appeal help pass anti-fur law in Israel? - Nov 08, 2010
- Kardashian in trouble with PETA, again - Jun 20, 2012
- PETA is unhappy with Mario as he wears a Tanooki suit - Nov 16, 2011
- Queen wears an Angela Kelly outfit at CHOGM - Oct 28, 2011
- Kim Kardashian wears 2 fur coats in one day, angers PETA - Nov 17, 2010
- Pamela Anderson urges Danish queen to avoid fur - Jul 29, 2011
- PETA calls Diane Kruger's fur photo shoot 'vulgar' and 'pretentious' - Feb 19, 2011
- Taraji P. Henson poses naked for PETA's anti-fur ad - Jan 29, 2011
- Clooney's girlfriend bares all for PETA campaign - May 05, 2011
- Joss Stone bares for bears in PETA ad to protest MoD using fur for hats - Feb 07, 2011
- PETA brands Brooke Shields 'fur pimp' - Jun 05, 2010
- Pamela Anderson Faces The Heat From Hong Kong Airport - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: andrew tyler, animal aid, animal pelts, animal rights campaigners, british queen, daily mail, duchess of cornwall, fake fur, fashion designers, fox fur, fur hat, fur hats, grey fox, grey rabbit, philip treacy, queen elizabeth ii, state occasions, style hats, vintage fur, wife sophie