Python in car stuns British holidaying coupleSeptember 7th, 2012 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 7 (IANS) A British couple on a South African safari were in for a surprise when they discovered a snake hiding in their car bonnet.
Marlene Swart, 38, and Leon Swanepoel, 51, were visiting the Kruger National Park for lions when a 16-feet python shot out of the grass and disappeared under their car, The Sun reported.
When the snake refused to come out the British couple was forced to endure a three-mile journey to the nearest look-out with the python hitching a ride.
When they arrived, a crowd looked on as the relieved couple managed to coax the cheeky reptile out of the engine.
“It was certainly a once in a lifetime experience that we will never forget,” said Marlene.
The African Rock Python is South Africa’s largest snake with females growing up to 16 ft-long and males up to 14 ft. Though they rarely kill humans, the non-venomous snake is widely feared as it kills by constriction.
- McDonalds snake wrestling incident leads to the arrest of 2 men - Sep 10, 2010
- Two people arrested for snake wrestling in the parking lot of McDonalds - Sep 09, 2010
- 'Venom from snakes could save lives too' - Sep 20, 2012
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- British family shares home with 80 animals - Nov 27, 2010
- Sarah Harding kisses python - Sep 21, 2012
- PETA to snake charmers: Use fake snakes on Nag Panchami - Jul 20, 2012
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
- Snake bites deputy marshal of Orissa assembly - Jul 26, 2009
- PETA re-launches campaign against snake shows - Apr 21, 2011
- Python caught near Madhya Pradesh chief minister's house - Aug 08, 2011
- Crocodiles in bedroom shock police team - Jun 08, 2011
- 5m amethyst python gobbles down 35kg goat! - Feb 25, 2010
- Snake in flight grounds plane - Apr 05, 2012
- Rare python rescued in Hooghly district - Jan 16, 2010
Tags: african rock python, bonnet, british couple, constriction, crowd, females, grass, hitching a ride, kruger national park, largest snake, lifetime experience, lions, marlene, mile journey, non venomous snake, reptile, south africa, south african safari, surprise, swanepoel